blue lobster nipped off Silver Apollo sharks tail

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Momzie, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MomzieNew MemberMember

Hi. Just started my aquarium 6 days ago and stocked it with 3 of each shark kinds namely Bala, Redtail, Rainbow Albino, Silver Apollo. I also bought 3 red and blue lobsters. I bought them all in one day.
    The first few days, they are all getting along together. But when I bought 3 shrimps the blue lobster started attacking my sharks and the shrimps. The shrimp and blue lob would fight all the time. Last night I noticed one of the Silver Apollo has its tail torn and bleeding. This morning when I feed them, the Silver Apollo totally lost its tail. What should I do? I am very worried with my silver apollo that I may find it floating when I get back home from work. Why is the blue lob suddenly attacking the fishes?

2. LagiacrusNew MemberMember

Hello Momzie! What size tank do you have? According to what I've read, blue lobsters are aggressive, territorial, and will attack other lobsters and fish smaller than them.

Fish and invertebrates, like other animals, may behave a certain way when they enter a new environment (in your case, the lobsters left each other alone). However, that initial behavior will change due to various circumstances over time.

On another note, it seems you added too many things to your aquarium at once. It may be in your best interest to take back the animals you bought, ensure your tank is cycled if it's not, and research the fish you want to make sure they will be housed properly (for instance, silver Apollos are a schooling fish and you'll need more than 3).

3. OP
    OP
    M

MomzieNew MemberMember

I have 20gal tank.
    I can't return the pets I bought, the store doesn't accept them. Maybe if I buy another 3 apollos they will not be so bullied?
    I'm thinking of adding hiding places for the lobs so they won't attack the fishes. The shrimps keep on invading their spaces.

4. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to the forum. I have not kept them however the tank size recommendation for one blue lobster is a 20 gal tank. If you scroll down the forum section you will find a section on freshwater invertebres. If you click on that their is a section entiled BLUE LOBSTERS. you might want to read through the posts, they contain lots of information on how to care for them. Alison

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

None of the fish you have in your tank are suitable for the tank size. The sharks all require around 50 gals minimum each (except the bala, which requires 125 gal minimum). You should rehome all of them as soon as possible, or you risk injuring/killing them all due to the small tank size :( . If you can't return them to the pet store (which you should be able to if it has been under 1 or 2 weeks - try calling again), try giving them away to people who have appropriately sized tanks. You can also call around other LFS, explain the situation, and see if they would take the sharks off your hands. I would imagine someone will take them.

Generally people at the pet store chains are just trying to make a sale, and don't pay attention to the living requirements of fish when selling them :(

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

That is why you don't mix lobsters with fish. They will eat them. As stated, none of your fish or inverts work for this tank size. I suggest rehoming them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    You have 3 red tail sharks, 3 rainbow sharks, 3 bala sharks, and 3 apollo sharks in a 20g?
    I'm sorry to say but that is a recipe for disaster. Rainbow sharks and red tail sharks should not be mixed together. Also, they hate their own species so only one per tank. As stated, they need a 55 minimum. Never have the two species together or with their own species.

And bala sharks need a group of 6+ and a very large tank.

Apollo sharks would need a 75g minimum as they get 10 inches, too big for even a 50.

And yes, lobsters/crayfish eat fish. Or get eaten.

8. dirtmidget33New MemberMember

I hate that so many stores sell Bala Sharks without something on tank or sales people warning people about size of these fish. Instead of just selling the fish. Balas reach 10-14 inches. Sales person should have never sold you several rainbows without warning you that you need three tanks, one rainbow per tank. That fish is a pain to keep mainly because it is not a community fish. They attack there own and nip at other fishes tails and chase them. Years ago I kept one with a turtle it tried to nip at turtle even. I dont know who sold you fish but everything in that sale attacks are tries to eat eachother. In order for you to keep these fish you would need several tanks and large ones at that. I think the store was interested in a big sale and knew that after the fish and crawfish kill eachother you will be back for more fish. Im wondering was this a chain store or a mom and pop store. Most small stores would not sell that combination without asking about your tanks. Then they would tell you nicely things won't workout and why. If you still wanted them they would sell you them but at least they warned you.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    M

MomzieNew MemberMember

Thanks for all your input and suggestions, I finally found a site where I can vent out my worries and search for information about fish keeping.
    The fishes are mostly 1-2 inches small. The fish stores here in the UAE doesn't accept returning of fishes. I noticed that the blue lobs are behaving well when they are near the plants and corners so maybe I'll just add up a few hiding places for them so they won't bother the fishes. The rainbow albinos and redtails mostly keep to themselves.

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Just be aware that if you're not going to rehome to sharks or move them to a larger tank, they will get sick and live very short lives.

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

If the stores don't allow the return of fish, all the better reason to do research on the type of fish you want before you go to the fish store. So you have a general idea about what you want and don't get suckered into buying something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. allthefishinmytankValued MemberMember

Rainbow sharks can be community fish they only chase other fish they can't do any real harm and they are mellow if you give them enough space and places to hide imk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

True, in the right sized tank and the right tankmates. In tanks that are too small they will do harm. Ime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice