Blue Lobster Impulse Buy Question

1. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

i bought a blue “lobster”, im assuming its a blue crayfish like i see on here sometimes. he/she is now in their new 55 gallon home. what im curious about is if hes going to try to eat my other fish. i have some balloon mollies, some lyretail mollies, a juvenile angel fish and a couple guppies. i figured that if he did try to get them that the tank is big enough to get away? IMG_0773.jpg

2. Purple-Jacket

Purple-Jacket New Member Member

From what I've read and heard. These guys are a bit territorial and will take a swipe at anything that get too close. So chances are you'll probably lose a couple of guppies. Will he kill everything? hes got the potential to do so but will he? maybe. I would keep an eye on him

3. F

F15FreeEagle Valued Member Member

Also, I believe these guys are little escape artists. They will climb up airlines, filters, anything they can to reach the top of the aquarium and get out. If I had one, I would make sure I had a tight fitting lid with no holes big enough for them to get out. :)

4. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I'd really suggest getting him his own tank. He MIGHT be okay with fish, but it wouldn't be a stretch for him to come across a sleeping guppy and grab it. Or even injure an angel to the point of death. Not something I'd risk, personally.

I've seen 20 longs recommended on here before for blue lobsters, so that's what I'm going to recommend here - that said, I'm no expert on crawdads.

As mentioned above, these guys have the ability to escape your tank and go for a stroll on land every now and then. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid.

You should probably try to feed some spirulina-based pellets, as from what I can tell, these guys usually live off more plant matter than they do meat. That said, the occasional feeding of something like mysis shrimp definitely wouldn't hurt.

5. F

P.S. These things ARE very cool though. I've thought about buying one myself, but never have for reasons mentioned in this thread. ;)

6. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Very much agreed! Just need a species tank for them, IMO.

7. F

Another thing to watch... I think think the blue lobster will molt sometimes? Is this accurate? If so, when molting, it will become prey for the fish, instead of the other way around I think?

8. Cyclsnipas

Cyclsnipas Valued Member Member

I had one of those with some small African Cichlids when I was younger. He used to climb out on the regular and often times I'd be woken up by my dog barking at this tiny creature wandering down the hallway. Yes they do molt. Unfortunately, mine met its demise from the Africans when it molted. They become very vulnerable at that time. You would be better off giving him his own tank or place him in one with larger, non-aggressive fish.

9. Purple-Jacket

Purple-Jacket New Member Member

On top of that, you have to pay attention to the lobsters water parameters. If not correct, it will have trouble molting and could get stuck in the process and die.

10. Cyclsnipas

Cyclsnipas Valued Member Member

His own cave made from a flower pot or coconut would be good for him as well.

11. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i have four 5.5 gallon tanks, a 15 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 55 gallon, plus a 3 gallon for my guppy fry. we rent the basement of my boyfriends parents house so i have no more outlets for more tanks! im starting to blow fuses.. ill keep a close eye on him. he has a pipe in there as a cave but he seems more interested in the patch of anarchias.

is there any way to figure out gender?

12. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Valued Member Member

Okay, I am telling you right now you will most likely loose guppies. Crayfish, believe it or not, fall into semi-aggressive to aggressive range where Guppies are peaceful. Crayfish in general do not like sharing space and are territorial. Fish like guppies are easy food to a crayfish like this. Crayfish aren't friendly to thing with long fins, feelers, or delicate fish and will rip fins up. Does your cray still have it's inner claw?
    When keeping Crayfish, if you add them with other fish you want to keep them with things that are semi-aggressive to aggressive as well. Example I keep my Tangerine Lobster with Cichlids because they are big, fast, and tough fish in general.

13. Chillin

Chillin Valued Member Member

he will eat them.. i put mine in a shared tank, he ate every1 and ripped up the plants so, now he has rock decorated tank that he seems to enjoy alot, even molted after adding a pound or so of red lava rocks..
    quite a funny dude..
    any fish with the 'lobster' id consider his meal...

14. Platyarelife

That's why it's recommended to house them alone. They don't live off plants their main diet is of meat and plants on the side. They will pick a fish over a plant for a meal any day. Also fish that have feelers are gonna be in pain and uncomfortable cuz if it clamps onto one....ouch! Feelers are sensitive.

15. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i know it might be because its a new tank but hes actually been running away from the fish. i dont know. honestly im very unhappy about everything in my 55 gallon and the crayfish is the first thing ive liked. another tank is out of the question due to no more outlets, and my 55 gallon is the only tank big enough.

16. Platyarelife

55 gallon is actually perfect for the cray (long even better).

17. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

its long. if i rehome the fish, could i get another crayfish?

the guy i have now is about 2 inches.

edit: i actually would love to just redo my 55 gallon completely. it has been a pain because my landscape is horrid and my fish dont go together. i have yet to find any decorations that dont look tacky so i guess ill just maybe heavily plant? but if anyone has any ideas on maybe some bigger fish to go with the cray or any ideas on a landscape. i have just normal small river rock substrate that came with the tank but im not really a fan

18. Platyarelife

No, crayfish will kill each other. Unless breeding them, it's not recommended, either. (Learned this the hard way with 2 female crays)

19. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

he already ate a balloon molly

20. Chillin

Chillin Valued Member Member

heh like i said, any fish with the lobby will get eaten.. he will also kill just to kill.. so watch out and make sure the bodies do not rot too long in the tank, will make it toxic, and have to do a good cleaning..hence iv learnt this the hard way and warning you lol
    it wont kill the lobby per say, but any fish u put in with him will die of "poisoning" of varying things..