Blue Lobster ... Coolness

luper

Reaction score
Well...

I bought a blue lobster at a cool store for like $25... my 20 gall btw... i have a few ghost shrimp and they are still living...

I also bought these yellow fish ($13 each, bought 3 )... i forget the name but they are twice the size of the zebra danios and seem to dwell in the middle and bottom areas of tank.... the lobster hasn't messed with any of the fish and the yellow ones aren't afraid of it either which is good b/c they were epensive... i was hoping the lobster would eat one of the danios just b/c it would be interesting... but it hasn't and neither has it eaten all of my ghost shrimp (i dont think it has eten any though i thought it would have )..

i was wandering if anyone has those Singapore Wood Shrimp... i want one b/c they look cool and are larger than those lil-ghost shrimp.... i am hesitant though b/c i can only find them online (shipping sucks of course b/c overnight)... and im afriad it and my blue lobster will battle it out (im rooting for the blue lobster personally if i had to lol)..

there is basically enough room in my tank BUT I can tell that its inevitable that they would meet and i dunno if they will fight or the shrimp will be prey for the lobster
-luper

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your blue lobster will eat anything it can catch. It just hasn't caught any fish yet. I think it would eat the shrimp too, if it got the chance.

luper

Reaction score
well fish aren't afraid of it and they've been right next to it... we'll see...

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey Luper keep me posted on the blue lobster! I love those guys but I'm too afraid of compatibiliy. I have a Singapore Wood Shrimp (aka bamboo shrimp) he's pretty cool but has no defense...no pinchers just fuzzy mitts for grabing particles from the water and spends most of the day near any kind of current.

I would love to have a blue lobster with african cichlids and a pleco...that would be my dream tank. But the lobster I sure would at least kill the pleco if not some cichlids. But I never give up hope...always seems to be someone out there who finds a way to make tough tank matches work!

;D

Keepin the dream alive!

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would love to learn about tank compatability with these guys. Someone is givin away babies for free around me and I really wanna get one. Think it would work with my betta? Probably not but it would be sooo cool. Blue betta and blue lobster.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
that would definitely not work. long betta fins + Curious snappy claws= Betta Death.

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
All Crayfish and lobsters will eat fish if they can catch it..assuming it's in their personality. My bet is...you blue won't touch the fish. I haven't tried shrimp with my cray yet, but I will. It all depends on the cray/lobster in question. If the personality is right, then yes...you could end up losing fish. If it has started canibalism yet...it probably won't.

I tried to see if I seeded the waters, so to speak, if Charlie would get the idea...she didn't. LOL But, she does love chicken. : So, I'm thinking maybe throw one in the tank and see what happens. LOL

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
do you give the cray's chicken raw or cooked? cooked right? i havent tried chicken yet but i want to.

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely cooked. Raw would add unwanted chicken blood to the tank. Roasted works well, or sticking it in the fridge overnight works too.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, you think a blue lobster would work with Cichilds?????? How about a small Oscar?
You think if you feed them good enough, they won't bother each other????
Ok nevermind, that is not a good idea, one of my puffers just killed a baby puffer, and they get fed WELL!

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
Heck No!!!!! Cichlids are one of the most dangerous tankmates for a crayfish. Most Cichlids will attack and eat the cray even if the cichlid is a small one, especially right after moulting when the cray's new shell hasnt hardened yet. Basically the aggresive animals will keep duking it out even if fed well.

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
After watching my Oscar, suck down 10 ghost shrimp...I wouldn't put any crustacean in the tank with him, unless I intended for him to eat them. LOL

I'm sure Charlie, my cray, would give Qdy, my Oscar, a run for his money....I'm still not chancing that.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, I will take your advice....remember, I'm new at aquariums...gotta ask,
or you don't know. Thanks to everyone for your help! I will NOT be getting
the blue lobster tho!!!
So, Cichild's WILL eat ghost shrimp??? I bought 5 and put in the tank for the puffers,
they won't eat them, or can't find them, I don't know what the problem is there!
This may sound like a stupid question...but, do Cichild's have teeth...how about Oscars??? I didn't know the puffers had teeth till AFTER I brought them home and looked them up on the net!!!! At PetSmart they have all of these little brochures on all of the fish....I got one of everyone that I might be interested in, but still there
is NOT enough info in them for newbies!!!

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oscars have very sharp teeth. My friend hand feeds his and once he was showing me and the thing bit his thumb and it started to bleed pretty bad. Anyways, most fish have teeth. They are small, but that doesnt mean that they dont hurt!

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
gmann21193 said:
Oscars have very sharp teeth. My friend hand feeds his and once he was showing me and the thing bit his thumb and it started to bleed pretty bad. Anyways, most fish have teeth. They are small, but that doesnt mean that they dont hurt!
gmann, thanks for all the info...

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
here is a video i found of a oscar biting someone lol.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
gmann21193 said:
here is a video i found of a oscar biting someone lol.

Hey thanks, I was on there for an hour and didn't realize it...lol!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom