Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Anytime you have critters with claws in your tank, your fish are at risk of being injured, killed and or eaten. As to if the tail will grow back or not is hard to say. I think it depends on exactly how much damage has been done. If the tail is completely gone, then I doubt that it will grow back.

If it was just the sword and not the entire tail nipped up to the body, then I think it will grow back. Let's see what other responses you receive. I can't say for certain either way as I haven't experienced this.

If you have some Vita Chem and Garlic Guard, these will help your injured fish to recover and hopefully help prevent infection. Vita Chem for added vitamins and fin regrowth and the Garlic Guard to help to boost the fishes immune system.

Best wishes.
Ken

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I advise keeping a crayfish of any kind by itself in its own 10gal or larger tank. I say that because they are extreamly territoral and will try to eat most fish in the tank with them. I keep my cray (Eli) in a 10gal with a few little guppys which he eats off abotu 2 a week. Its the best way to go about it IMO. Crays also need plenty of hidding places if your going to keep him in the 60gal I suggest at least 3-4 caves for a 60gal. As for your swordtail, Kens advice is great! Best of Luck

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I disagree that crayfish need to be kept by themselves. There are plenty of options for tankmates. IME livebearers are easy tagrets.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I ment keeping them out of a tank with fish you care for. I wouldnt dare put Eli in my goldfish tank. I like my goldfish's tails. Eli however is in a tank with guppies for food. lol
Again, it depends on the type of fish. I care about all of the fish in each of my cray tanks, but I've chosen fish that are crayfish safe.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Barbs, some killis, topminnows, giant danios, african butterfly (provided the tank is tall), probably rainbows, possibly hatchets. Anything that stays near the surface really, as well as any fish that sleeps in the upper half of the tank.

Decor is also important. Have ing stuff that extends to the top of the tank gives the crays access to more of the tank. Keeping the decor relatively low makes it hard for the crays to hunt. It also helps to keep the cray from escaping.

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep mine in a species only tank. They will most likely kill or injure other fish. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to keep them with fish. Just my opinion. Im not sure if the tail will grow back.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The swords tail will most likely grow back.

If you must keep a crayfish in the tank, you need to clip the top part of his claw (about 1/4 off the tip)....not all of it, just some of the end. He will be ok and you need to check everytime he molts, as it will grow back. The clipping is ok...no worse than docking a dogs tail or ears or trimmimg a birds flight feathers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom