Blue leg Hermit Crab Tips

TheSpasticCorydora
I want to eventually start a small saltwater tank and fill it with only those blue leg hermit crabs. I love them. I think they're funny and so cute. I don't want to keep any fish with them, just a tank for the hermit crabs
My question is....what tank size should I get? I have 10gal lying around and I hear mixed things about how many can be kept in a 10gal.
Any information and tips on keeping them will.be appreciated.

Aiden77
TheSpasticCorydora said:
I want to eventually start a small saltwater tank and fill it with only those blue leg hermit crabs. I love them. I think they're funny and so cute. I don't want to keep any fish with them, just a tank for the hermit crabs
My question is....what tank size should I get? I have 10gal lying around and I hear mixed things about how many can be kept in a 10gal.
I keep about 15 hermits in a 12 gallon long. Crabs are very fun to watch. A ten gallon should be fine for some other inverts as well. I highly suggest you go check out reef Cleaners, it’s a website that has all sorts of crabs and oddball saltwater inverts. I usually feed mine chopped frozen krill every other day or so. Algae wafers are good as well.

Jesterrace
TheSpasticCorydora said:
For inverts only it should be pretty easy to keep. One light feeding each day should be plenty to keep them fed. Blue Legged and Red Legged Hermits are among the easiest inverts to keep, my 90 gallon has about 20-30 of each in them and other than my Melanurus Wrasse picking off the occasional one they last for quite a while. I would say 5-10 of the Blue Legged ones would be fine if you are talking about the smaller ones. Or are you talking about the larger electric blue variety?

TheSpasticCorydora
Jesterrace said:
For inverts only it should be pretty easy to keep. One light feeding each day should be plenty to keep them fed. Blue Legged and Red Legged Hermits are among the easiest inverts to keep, my 90 gallon has about 20-30 of each in them and other than my Melanurus Wrasse picking off the occasional one they last for quite a while. I would say 5-10 of the Blue Legged ones would be fine if you are talking about the smaller ones. Or are you talking about the larger electric blue variety?
Probably the smaller ones.

Jesterrace
TheSpasticCorydora said:
Probably the smaller ones.
Just the regular blue legged are as easy as it gets to care for hermits. I would recommend dry rock or something like caribsea life rock over regular live rock though. Cheaper to buy and no potential issues for nasty pests that might eat the hermits. Hermits are pretty cheap too ($2-$3 per crab if you live stateside).

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom