Blue Jack Dempsey question

pome63
I bought a new 55 gal aquarium and then stocked it with some zebra danios to help the cycle process. I later bought my Blue JD. Initially he was all over the tank and seemed very active. I've done numerous 20% water changes and all of the fish except my JD seem to be doing really well. My JD stays in hiding most of the time and when he does come out he stays near the bottom with little movement. I've not tested the water but all of the other fish seem fine. The water is clear and looks fine. I also have a couple of Coreys which also seem to be doing well. I'm afraid my JD is not going to make it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TaylormadeR7
First I'll direct you to where you can find many answers.

?'s
How big and old is your blue?
Where did you get him from? (do you know his breeder)
Water changes once week minimum with blues. 20-30%
How's he eating and what? ( frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp a must)
Food soaked in garlic guard does wonders.
Filtration? Air stone will help too.

Your tank mates are okay. Down the road you may want another smaller jd to keep him company. I would not recommend putting other aggressive fish in with him until he reaches maturity.

I've kept blues for over a year now. I currently have 2 adults and 3 juveniles. Great fish that need a little extra care and time. Diet is also very important. Check out the link and join. Ask a question and get ready. You'll get a lot of advice. Good luck, Rich

pome63
First I'll direct you to where you can find many answers.

?'s
How big and old is your blue?
Where did you get him from? (do you know his breeder)
Water changes once week minimum with blues. 20-30%
How's he eating and what? ( frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp a must)
Food soaked in garlic guard does wonders.
Filtration? Air stone will help too.

Your tank mates are okay. Down the road you may want another smaller jd to keep him company. I would not recommend putting other aggressive fish in with him until he reaches maturity.

I've kept blues for over a year now. I currently have 2 adults and 3 juveniles. Great fish that need a little extra care and time. Diet is also very important. Check out the link and join. Ask a question and get ready. You'll get a lot of advice. Good luck, Rich

He's about 2.5" long. Not sure about his age, but the fish store where I bought him said he was about 8 months old. I think they order their stock so I do not have a connection with the breeder. To be honest I was lucky to find him here in the rural area where I live. As far as food, I've been feeding him Tetra Color Granules and Wardley Shrimp Pellets Formula. I had considered other foods but didn't want to get the floating type because I was afraid he would not get any since he stays at the bottom. I'm not sure how well he eats since he hides but I assume that he's eating something since he is still alive. As far as the water changes go, I've been doing the 20% water changes per week if not more. I have a penguin 350 HOB filter and a power head which I have the tube installed to introduce air into the tank.

TaylormadeR7
Well if he's 2.5" and 8 months that means he's probably a runt. I have one like that. My larger blue is almost 5" and is from a July 2007 spawn. His sibling is only 3 1/2 inches and more slender and not as colorful. Just happens.

I would definitely get some frozen food. Start with the blood worms. Personally I would want to see him eat. They can go a long time with out eating but a healthy fish most always acts hungry. You may also want to try peas. Cooked and shelled. Try a few at first. Mine love them.

Your filtration sounds fine. The only thing I could recommend is a hydro sponge filter. The more filtration the better. Is your tank planted (fake or otherwise)?

Lastly, I would have some Jungle Parasite Clear medication on hand. JPC you can find @ wal-mart cheap. I would get the temperature up to around 78-80 to promote activity and metabolism. If he does not come around in a couple days I would medicate. Follow the instructions.

I lied, Where are you located? I'm in Ohio about 45 minutes east of Cleveland.

Good luck, Rich

pome63
Well if he's 2.5" and 8 months that means he's probably a runt. I have one like that. My larger blue is almost 5" and is from a July 2007 spawn. His sibling is only 3 1/2 inches and more slender and not as colorful. Just happens.

I would definitely get some frozen food. Start with the blood worms. Personally I would want to see him eat. They can go a long time with out eating but a healthy fish most always acts hungry. You may also want to try peas. Cooked and shelled. Try a few at first. Mine love them.

Your filtration sounds fine. The only thing I could recommend is a hydro sponge filter. The more filtration the better. Is your tank planted (fake or otherwise)?

Lastly, I would have some Jungle Parasite Clear medication on hand. JPC you can find @ wal-mart cheap. I would get the temperature up to around 78-80 to promote activity and metabolism. If he does not come around in a couple days I would medicate. Follow the instructions.

I lied, Where are you located? I'm in Ohio about 45 minutes east of Cleveland.

Good luck, Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich. As far as the age, I'm not 100% sure that the guy at the fish store really knew the age. And yes, I have a planted tank (fake) and I have a fake log in the center which serves as a cave, which is where he tends to hide. He is just not as active as I would like and you right about a healthy fish being hungry. I will try to get my hands on some frozen blood worms for him. I had some frozen brine shrimp on hand which I use to feed my guppy fry, and I put some in the tank. I have considered putting the fry in his tank as a treat...not sure he would get any with the danios in there.

I'm not too far from you, I live in Southern WV.

TaylormadeR7
Keep us updated on your progress.

pome63
Update

Well got the bloodworms and seen my JD eat some...couldn't find the meds though. Hope the food perks him up. May post pictures in a day a or two.

pome63
Update

Got up this morning and turned on my light to find my JD on the bottom...he's been somewhat lethargic for a couple of days. Opening and closing his mouth. I don't understand how all of the others seem to be thriving and he's not. All I had on hand to treat him with is Melafix so I removed the carbon filter cartridge and added the first does.

Rich you had mentioned a possible parasite infection, all I could find at Wal-mart is the tablets that look like Alka-Seltzer...not sure what to do but I'm afraid I'm going to loose him.

TaylormadeR7
The melafix may work but really as a preventative not as a cure. The jpc tablets are just that. They fizz and medicate the tank 1 tablet for each 10 gallons. The other fish are hardier species and although they may get an illness their immune system is stronger and fight it off.

I would get the Jungle Parasite Clear on hand. If he's still hanging in there tonight I would do a 25% water change, medicate with jpc and hope he pulls through. I know it's frustrating to watch a sick fish. Good luck.

pome63
Ok..done the 25% water change and added the JPC treatment. Guess now it's just a waiting game. How long should I wait to put the carbon back in and do I need to do another 25% change anytime soon or do I leave it for a bit to make sure the meds work? Sorry for all the questions but the whole medication aspect is a little new to me. Thanks for your help....Joe

pome63
My little JD died last night... Guess the meds were too little too late. Not sure what I'll do now as far as a replacement. All of the other fish in the tank seem to be doing really good. The Cory cats were incredibly active this morning so I just don't know what happened. Thanks for all your help Rich.

TaylormadeR7
Wow, so sorry. I've been there so I know. You were doing the right things it was just an inevitable outcome. If you try this fish again let me know. I know where you can find some quality blues.

What I did after my losses was to dedicate a one smaller tank to them. 29 gallon with air stone, sand bottom and a hang on back filter. I received my 2 blues from a breeder in Oregon. They were about 1 1/2" and I let them grow out to about 3". That's when I put some barbs with them. They then were moved to my 75 gallon shortly after that and have been doing great. I have since received 6 more juveniles (1") and I sold 3 and have the rest. They tend to better in a group. I would recommend to get a group of 6 and grow them up. Sell off what you don't want or have room for. Keep up on water changes. They love clean water. I do add aquarium salt to my water change water. Some do and some don't. A lot of people use prime water conditioner but I use tetra water conditioning and my sits in 38 gallon can for days prior to water change. As you can tell I'm a little crazy. All my tanks are in my basement and I have room. Let me know what your plans are and I'd be glad to help you. I do know a blue keeper in W.V. but he's closer to the Ohio line. Sorry to rant but I can't help it sometimes. Rich

pome63
Thanks Rich, I appreciate the replies. For now I think I am going to stick with something a little less expensive only because of lack of funds. I have considered getting a regular Jack Dempsey as their cost is only around $8 instead of the $40 I paid for my blue. I would dearly love to have a couple of Blues but it's just a matter of cost. I have also considered a Flower horn but not sure about them yet. I know in the future I will try the blue again. I would love to have a huge tank but I just don't have the room. The 55 was a bit of a stretch but it has worked out so far.

Thanks again for your help...Joe

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views
CatfishGuy
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies