Blue Heron Problem

Discussion in 'Koi' started by TPaladude, Apr 25, 2017.

1. TPaladudeNew MemberMember

Hello guys,
    My family at my father's house owns a pond filled with koi. As of recently, my stepmother has spotted a blue heron eating our koi. A few weeks ago there were ten koi and now there's only six! Now the six koi act like schooling fish because they're traumatized and scared. We already have a few small lily pads and just added some groups of water lettuce that are held together with floating hoops that will hopefully multiply. Another precaution that my stepmother took was blocking off the ledge of the pond that the bird would stand on in the water. What would be some other suggestions from you guys other than shooting the bird with a pellet gun and protect the fish from future birds?
    Thank you

2. _IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Found this site with a quick Google search, it will probably explain the different strategies better than I can.
    Good luck with the pond:)

3. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

ive seen water guns hooked up to motion trackers. i know nothing about them only heard about years ago, so i figure the tech has improved maybe. big hawk statues might be effective since they are their predators

4. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Another good link: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice