Blue-Green Algae

sairving

After dealing with a massive algae problem that is now under control, there is just the issue of cyanobacteria. So far I've been manually removing it when I do a water change. Is there a way to get rid of the BGA without killing all the bacteria in the tank? I have live plants and one betta.

I actually started trying to get control of the BGA by raising nitrate levels. It has helped to slow the growth but hasn't solved the problem.

MrBryan723

Hydrogen peroxide. Turn off your filter or remove the media and dose it with h202. 2ppm. Do it daily for a few days once a day. You only have to leave your filter off for an hour at a time during treatment as the h2o2 is neutralized after that.

sairving

Hydrogen peroxide. Turn off your filter or remove the media and dose it with h202. 2ppm. Do it daily for a few days once a day. You only have to leave your filter off for an hour at a time during treatment as the h2o2 is neutralized after that.

Do I need to remove my beta for that hour?

MrBryan723

You do not as long as you keep the concentration under 3ppm. Perfectly safe.

MrBryan723

Hey, I should also memtion you will want to remove the bga as it dies off or it can cause an ammonia spike.

sairving

Hey, I should also memtion you will want to remove the bga as it dies off or it can cause an ammonia spike.

Thanks, I've added the hydrogen peroxide, pulled the filter, and now I'm waiting.

jpaquatics

If that doesn’t work, try Chemiclean. It completely got rid of all of mine in less than 48 hours. Not a trace of it was left. You can get it fast on Amazon too.

BamaBetta

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I calculate 2ppm for a 5gal tank? I also have betta, and I have what I believe to be bga in one of my tanks.

airdog44

You don't need to do hydrogen peroxide. I had BBA cover my entire substrate and used UltraLife Blue-Green Slime stain remover. Took about 2.5/3 weeks, add every 3 days no hassle. Just dissolve it in tank water before adding and wait. $8 on Amazon I think. It takes a while but it gets rid of it and I haven't had it for a couple of months. Seriously worked so well for me

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LouPey
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views