Blue Green Algae when using Easy Green Fertilizer

• Thread starter Beluga01
  • Start date

Beluga01

I have a Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) with a few plants....Java Fern, Anubius, and Water Sprite. I use root tabs and I started using the Aquarium Co-op Easy Green .50ml once a week to help out with the plants. All of a sudden, I have string like algae growing amongst the plants and some of the leaves of both the water sprite and Java Fern have a deep blue/green algae growing on some of their tips of the leaves. I do water changes 40% once a week. Any ideas on how to control the algae? Also my Water Sprite is not looking that great...looks like it is slowly dying. Appreciate any insights.

Chanyi

Well Known
If it's true Blue Green Algae it's actually a bacteria.

H2O2 can control it, or medication such as Chemiclean.

Beluga01

Do you think it would help to use Seachem Excel in the tank....50ml every other day?

Chanyi

Well Known
Beluga01 said:
Do you think it would help to use Seachem Excel in the tank....50ml every other day?
Excel needs to be dosed daily.

50mL's is 40x too much for a 5 gallon.

0.5mL's per gallon is the high rate stated by Seachem

It will help, but it won't git rid of the root cause of it.

Beluga01

I meant .50ml...sorry for that. I don't use an air stone in my tank, but according to the directions of chemiclean...I need one. Do you think it will be ok to use chemiclean without an airstone? Again, thank you for your help.

Chanyi

Well Known
Beluga01 said:
I meant .50ml...sorry for that. I don't use an air stone in my tank, but according to the directions of chemiclean...I need one. Do you think it will be ok to use chemiclean without an airstone? Again, thank you for your help.
Are there fish / livestock in the tank?

Drop water level to cause filter to splash a bunch will work just as well as an airstone.

Beluga01

I have one betta and a snail in the aquarium.

O.k. I will try this...many thanks.

Chanyi

Well Known
Beluga01 said:
I have one betta and a snail in the aquarium.

O.k. I will try this...many thanks.
Just watch you don't overdose in such a small tank.

And make sure its real cyanobacteria / blue green algae before dosing.

After the treatment, make sure to up your maintenance, increase flow (if you can) ensure plants are growing well, more water changes / bigger water changes, make sure to clean out the filter in old tank water regularly. This should keep it away for good after the treatment.

Beluga01

Here are some pics of what I think might be blue green algae. I don't notice an odor, so I am not positive if it is blue green algae. Thoughts?

Attachments

Chanyi

Well Known
The first pic looks like it... second one not so much, maybe it's just the lighting?

Top Bottom