Blue Gourami's feelers

Discussion in 'Blue Gourami' started by Jrobber, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

Ok, I have two Blue Gourami's in the same tank and I know that's not the best idea, but I got sucker into buying two from the store clerk. Anyways, both of the Gourami's "feelers" look like the are fraying on the end. Any ideas of what is causing this or is it normal?

2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Could be that you started tank to fast and got ICH? I read that on your post . Is Ich gone and are they the ones recovering from it?

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Yeah, the tank had ICK, and it looks like its starting to go away. However I never noticed white spots on the gourami, but then again it could be hard to tell.

They aren't acting differently from what I can tell, they are active and eating. Just their feelers are fraying.

4. Stang Man

It could be from using medication. Do they have a white film on there bodies?

5. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Not that I'm noticing, the only other thing is their top and bottom fins are standing straight up. I gave the last meds Thursday and reinstalled the carbon filters last night.

6. Stang Man

Do a water change as well 25 - 30 % will help!!

7. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Is it possibly fin rot? The feelers are actually the ventral fins of the fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Great. You're probably right because just today, my last Mollie died from the ICK, fin rot, and whatever other diseases she had.

First ICK, now fin rot.....what's next? 10 fish have died on me since I started this tank and I am getting terribly frustrated. My water parameters are good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrates. AHHHHHHHHHH I just don't understand.

I did a 25% water change and gravel sweep last night before I put the filters back in. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do.

I'll go study fin rot like I did ICK about a week ago.

Thanks for your help.

9. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Here is a picture of one of my Gourami's. I've never seen it this blue before. Would this help diagnose the problem?

The second pic is of the other gourami.

(Sorry the picture quality isn't that great. I'm not a very good fishkeeper or photographer)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  10. Stang Man

fish do have a fin rot so 25% water change every other day will help for at least for a few weeks your tank is going thru new tank syndrome so keep on top of it and thing's will turn around. do you have a good water flow that reches bottom of tank? Have you been doing a gravel cleaning as well ?Do you have any air flow going thru water?

11. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

For the last two weeks I have have been sweeping the gravel and doing at least 25-30% water changes every other day. I just tested the water and all the parameters are still the same.

As far as water flow goes, I lowered the water level when I first noticed the ICK (about two weeks ago) in order for the water coming out of the filter to flow better. It doesn't really reach the bottom, but it goes about 3/4 the way to the bottom. In the picture, the water flow goes down to the top of the flat rock. You can kind of see that one of the plants is bent over because of the water flow in the top left.

Should I look into getting an airstone or something like that?

Attached Files:

12. Stang Man

I would do an air stone on both sides of tank or get a few power heads to do even better I would have a few real plants going if you have the lighting?

13. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

So more oxygen in the tank will help out? My tank is only 29 gallons, but I'll need two airstones?

As for having live plants, I'm not for sure I'm ready to try those out yet.

14. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Yes more oxygen would work in anytank but dont forget they are air breathers much like Bettas. How ever I do not see signs of fin rot on either of them. Their fins are colored correctly and are not black and shreaded looking on the ends. My snails feelers sometimes bend at the ends in odd angles. Then they will grow shorter and then be back to normal in a few days. I belive they eat off the ends. Though snails and gourmais are different things. I would keep my eyes on them. I do suggest the 25% water changes every day or every other day. It will help with tank cycling. As for the feeler problem, I would try garlic guard soaking for their food. It should help. Other then that I dont know what medications to suggest because I dont own gourmais and dont know a ton about them. But I wish you the best of luck with them and hope they heal well!

15. Stang Man

more oxygen in a tank for fresh is always better more flow is always better for all tanks fresh or salt!!

16. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

17. Stang Man

power heads.

18. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Ok, thank you for all your help and information!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice