Blue Gouramis both black

Avenaababyy

I have a male and a female gourami. They are both black and the male is attacking the tank. I have already done a water change a few days ago and that’s when they both started acting weird and then last night they both were black. I figured something had bothered them so I turned the lights off in the tank until this morning. And no change they are both still black. And rest of the fish are acting fine.

Tank info:
55 gallon
Semi heavily planted
2 filters
1 koi angelfish
1 rainbow shark
1 pleco
And 2 Gouramis (male and female)

EmbersToAshes

What type of gourami? Some species are more aggressive than others and may need one male to multiple females if you want to mix sexes. Darkening is usually stress related but it's hard to say without seeing the fish or knowing the species. Can you post a picture? Also how long has the tank been running and is it cycled and Do you test the water parameters / preform regular water changes regularly?

Avenaababyy

EmbersToAshes said:
What type of gourami? Some species are more aggressive than others and may need one male to multiple females if you want to mix sexes. Darkening is usually stress related but it's hard to say without seeing the fish or knowing the species. Can you post a picture? Also how long has the tank been running and is it cycled and Do you test the water parameters / preform regular water changes regularly?

My tank cycled with no fish for 3 weeks then with 2 Balas and a angel for 2 weeks (Balas passed with swim bladder issues).
The parameters of the water are
0ppm nitrates
0ppm nitrites
75ppm (Soft) total hardness
Between 0 and 40 ppm alkalinity
Between 6.8 and 7.2 ph
0.5 ppm ammonia

I did a water change 2 days ago (ammonia was a little higher than I wanted (2 ppm))

Everything I’ve heard about Gouramis they get lighter with extreme stress. But I’ve also never had this species of fish. So I have no idea. I also noticed today he seems to get more agitated after he eats. I.e. chases the female and attacks the walls of the tank.

Avenaababyy

Would it also help if I put some floating plants in there? Maybe to help dim the harshness of the light?

EmbersToAshes

He looks and sounds just like mine haha. Probably colored up nice for the female. Just make sure the female doesn't get picked on or harassed too much by him. I can't put mine with any other gouramis at all without him causing harm, but he's good with other fish. You may have to get more females or remove one of the fish if they don't get along. They are usually considered to be simi aggressive. They do like floating plants and the more cover and hiding places you can offer the better. Try and brake the line of site

.5 is still a bit high for ammonia and could be causing additional stress. I would do a water change and then add more decor.

Avenaababyy

EmbersToAshes said:
He looks and sounds just like mine haha. Probably colored up nice for the female. Just make sure the female doesn't get picked on or harassed too much by him. I can't put mine with any other gouramis at all without him causing harm, but he's good with other fish. You may have to get more females or remove one of the fish if they don't get along. They are usually considered to be simi aggressive. They do like floating plants and the more cover and hiding places you can offer the better. Try and brake the line of site

.5 is still a bit high for ammonia and could be causing additional stress. I would do a water change and then add more decor.
I will do another water change tomorrow, I couldn’t do frequent water changes with the Bala in there so I had to stay weekly so I have a bit more free will without them though so that’s good...and I’ll go buy some plants to add after water change. He did really good with her for the first few days and then he started being crazy and as long as there’s no food he seems okay with her.

DoubleDutch

Please place.pics of both fish.

Is the watrr "cloudy" or is it the pic?

Avenaababyy

DoubleDutch said:

It’s a pic from a few days a after I got him to show my LFS the cloudiness, I had also just changed filters. They said a bacteria bloom could be the cause but it’s been clear for about 4 days now.

DoubleDutch said:

I don’t have any of her.. I will get a picture tomorrow after I turn the lights back on in the tank

Avenaababyy

My tanks clouding back up again... I don’t understand that, it was crystal clear last night when I turned the lights off.

EmbersToAshes

Your going to have to do regular water changes and check parameters often. If you changed filters and that is where all the bacteria where growing then you will need to start cycling over again since you removed them. An established well cared for tank shouldn't get cloudy so time and water changes are your best bet for clearing it up. Don't buy any products that claim to fix the cloudiness

Mhamilton0911

Avenaababyy said:
The parameters of the water are
0ppm nitrates
0ppm nitrites
75ppm (Soft) total hardness
Between 0 and 40 ppm alkalinity
Between 6.8 and 7.2 ph
0.5 ppm ammonia
Not cycled. Just because you let your tank 'run' didn't mean the bacteria grew. 0 ammonia, 0 NITRITES, and some nitrates will show for a cycled tank. Your fish might be stressed from the water quality, however I do not own gouramis so I cant say if this is how they show it?

Avenaababyy

EmbersToAshes said:
Your going to have to do regular water changes and check parameters often. If you changed filters and that is where all the bacteria where growing then you will need to start cycling over again since you removed them. An established well cared for tank shouldn't get cloudy so time and water changes are your best bet for clearing it up. Don't buy any products that claim to fix the cloudiness
Thank you for all your help! I will continue doing water changes and cycling again

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom