1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I wanted one, so here re a few questions
    1. How many to a tank? Do males fight?
    2. Can they go with angelfish?
    3.Are they aggressive?

2. jacob thompson

jacob thompson Valued Member Member

Are you talkingn about the three-spot gourami, the opaline gourami, or the dwarf blue gourami?

3. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

A blue gourami. It's a fish by itself. It's categorized as just blue at petsmart. Also, can you answer the questions about pearl, honey and pearl gouramis?

4. jacob thompson

Is it on another thread? I can look at it and see if I can answer it. As for your question it’s most likely a 3-spot gourami if petsmart is selling it as blue, I think I’ve seen them their before.
    1. Males can fight like any gourami species. It depends on the size of the tank, if you have live plants(they eat them), if the sight line is broken and how many hiding places their are is what determines how many you can have.
    2. I wouldn’t put them with angelfish the three-spot, gold, and opaline gourami types are known to nip at angelfish’s fins
    3. They are classified as a semi-aggressive species.
    If you’re looking for a gourami for an angelfish tank I would go with the pearl leeri gourami species, they are pretty docile and not known fin nippers.

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Yes, three spot. I just searched it up. What gouramis can go with angels? Here are my tank info
    55 gallon
    Non planted (I have a light coming and am going to plant it.)
    Not a high current

6. jacob thompson

Pearl leeri gourami have similar temperature requirements. Dwarf gourami can if you get he more docile honey gold type.

7. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Do the normal dwarfs work?

8. jacob thompson

I’ve heard of them easily coexisting with angelfish I’ve also heard of some chasing the angelfish around. If you do get a regular dwarf it is really personality based and to watch them. Also don’t put too many males in the same tank as they will fight with each other without females. If possible to find them near you I would get a few females, they get their best colors when females are present.

9. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok, how ca you sex them?

10. jacob thompson

They will sell them as either male or female. But it’s really easy to tell, female will be a drab grey tan color, they aren’t visually appealing but they will make the males look better and help with male on male aggression. Also the dorsal fin of males will be pointed while the dorsal fin of the female is rounded.

11. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Well, I don't usually see females. They don't really sell them because they are not that colorful

12. jacob thompson

Then if you want to stock the dwarf gouramis t’ more than 3 in the tank and 2 would be better. As I said in the above post without female they tend to be territorial towards other males.

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

You're talking about two different species here. A dwarf gourami is Trichogaster lalius and the Honey gourami is the Trichogaster chuna.

I don't exactly understand why a pair of Three spots wouldn't be possible here.
    But I can be wrong. I love pearls myself (which are more docile than three spots)

Gouramis in general like a well planted tank though.

14. jacob thompson

I know they are different species with different temperaments that’s why I recommended honey dwarf gourami first since they are a more peaceful gourami. When I suggested the male dwarf at only a maximum only three I was talking about the other dwarf gourami species because of the male on male aggression. When I started my tank with an angel as a centerpiece I reasearches the gourami and I found a lot of accounts of three spot, gold and opaline gourami’s changing angelfish and nipping at their fins. Which is why I decided against them. And gouramis do like a well planted tank since they ar labryth fish he would just have to be okay with them nibbling on since of the leaves. And I recommended pearl gouramis because of their docile nature and colorful pattern.

15. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So, can you clarify that? I am confused. Sorry, I only know about specific fish

16. jacob thompson

So the regular male dwarf gourami is a different species from the honey gold dwarf gourami, honey gold dwarf gourami are very mild mannered. While the regular male dwarf gourami is aggressive toward other males. The blue, opaline, and gold larger gouramis are fin nippers and I don’t recommend them with angelfish. The pearls are perfect with angelfish and very colorful, they get larger and are very peaceful. Gouramis do better in planted tanks because they are known as labyrinth fish which like to move through thick planted tanks but if you plant it you need to be prepared that they will snack on the foliage.

17. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

I think I will either do 1 dwarf gourami or 2 pearl gouramis. How many pearls or honeys can you have? Not in the same tank

18. jacob thompson

Edit: actually I don’t feel confident to give a definite answer so I’ll call back @DoubleDutch

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I am not an expert but I doubt one should add the tiny honeys to a tank sized like this with an angel allready in.

Dwarfs shouldn't be sold cause of their healthissues / short lifespan..

Pearls are quite docile.

The thing that worries me that it isn't planted. Gouramis like plants and should have places to hide.

20. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

I am planting around this week