60 Gallon Tank Blue gourami swimming crazy

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have 3 blood red parrots, 5 gourami, 1 rainbow shark, 3 rainbowfish, 1 pleco in my 60 gal planted tank. My water test two days ago was perfect. My blue gourami swam around wildly last night, dropped to the bottom, lying on its side. It sat there for a few minutes and then went back to normal. I saw it do the same thing this morning. It sunk to the bottom. I fed them as usual but it did not eat. It finally managed to swim to the top of the tank to get air. It stayed close to the top. This evening, it was dead. It had a couple of white dots on its side but they have been there since I got it. I got it in February, 2010. Any ideas what could have happened?

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
EDIT: Just noticed this is probably in the wrong forum area too. Hopefully one of the mods will move it for you

Hmm, what? Am I first?
Well then...

Welcome to Fishlore! Lovely to have you

Sorry that your fish died

It's a little hard to know what might have happened to your fish if you didn't witness any real symptoms.
Did you notice anything like apparent weight loss, white around the gills, did it's eyes seem larger than usual? Colour change? Fin loss or shredding? There are so many things that can kill a fish. With the white spots, were they raised or did they grow in size?

Only things I can say is, can you provide more details on your tank maintenance? How often do you clean it, change the water? Do you use carbon, and have you changed it every month?

I'm not too good at judging stocking for this tank considering I haven't kept most of them, but I do know Gourami's can get agressive, which is why people recommend either getting one, so theres no fighting, or to get a few so no one gourami is picked on to death.

Are all your gourami's blue?

Any more info you can think of would be good

Last edited:
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I maintain the tank very carefully. Change the filters and water every two weeks (25% water change). Check water with api master kit about every ten days. The tank is clean. The spots looked a little raised but they never changed in size.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wait, what? You change the FILTERS?

Filters and filter media shouldn't be changed too often, and certainly not ALL parts at once. I'm guessing your filter is the type with bio balls, activated carbon, wool, bio sponge and bio rings?

Which parts are you replacing all the time? Carbon replacement should be once a month, but in a freshwater tank more often should be fine. Carbon is sometimes negative to coral and plants is all (I think!)

And water changes, especially for a tank that large should probably be 25% every week. I have a 36g understocked tank and I change atleast 30% weekly.

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
filter media shouldnt be changed often at all as this is where all the good bacteria live and with that many fish id be dong a 1/3 water change once a week. Also the white spots could be ICH or white spot (same thing) which is highly contagious, sorri to hear about your gourami by the way. I hope you get to the bottom of it

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm guessing by "filters" you mean either a white wool, or a black spongelike material. Neither of which should be changed unless they have literally fallen apart. That would cost a lot of money too for a tank that size!

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to hear about your fish

Now, sorry but we need to clarify, do you change the actual wheel on your bio wheel, or do you just change cartridges? It's confusing when you say you change the filters every month, seeing as many filters have different parts to them As a rule, you never change the part of your filter that houses the bacteria, in your case the wheel.

I would take a stab that your gourami's behaviour and death could be down to bullying and the associated stress, seeing as there were 5 in the tank and they're usually recommended to be kept singally due to their territorial and aggressive natures. Stress can cause a fish to become more vulnerable to various ailments. Do you know the female/male ratio?

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry, I apparently am using bad terminology. I do not change the bio wheels, I change the cartridges. The male/female ratio is 50-50. The blue gourami always kept to herself. In fact we called her Blimpie because she just hung around like a blimp. I know what ick looks like and the dots that were on her were not ick. They were on the body, not the fins. They may have just been part of her coloration. They became more noticeable as she got older but did not get much larger just brighter.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just wanted to clarify about the filter, that's all Sounds like you've got it down pat.

When people have multiple gouramis, they usually have one male, and perhaps one or two females. It's still risky having more than one gourami, but having only one male in the tank is supposed to minimise the risk.

Perhaps your gourami was already weak/unwell when you got her If I were you, I would reconsider your stocking list to avoid future bullying and potential deaths. It's your tank, so your choice

Goodluck with your fish

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the white sports were in fact Ich, you would've noticed more spots on other fish within a few days. You didn't say how long you had the fish so I will assume more then a week. So, I don't think it was Ich. Also, Ich will attach anywhere on the fish.

You might just have to file this under fish die sometimes. I know I been there with a Blue Gourami. Had it for a month, perfect water. In a 48hr period it went from a normal fish to something you described. Very hard to take I know. The hobby can be cruel at times.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom