77.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 57

RiseRockAgainst

Here's the 19 gallon. He saw me coming out with my phone and knew it was picture time

Attachments

• IMG_2556.JPG
    IMG_2556.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 45

TexasDomer

What are the dimensions of the tank? Is it a normal 29 gal?

I would even add 6 or so kuhlis! You have the room in a 30" tank, and they'll appreciate the company. I would consider switching to sand - they'll like it more, and it's super cheap and easy to clean. Much easier than gravel, in my opinion.

RiseRockAgainst

It's a normal 29 gallon. Nothing crazy about it. 6 Kuhils you say huh? I'm going to look into this!

I was considering switching to sand. As you can see, I have pebbles on the bottom of both tanks. It can be quite messy to clean up!

TexasDomer

Yep! I think you could even add another 8 for a total of 10

RiseRockAgainst

Should I consider moving the dwarf gourami back to the 29 gallon tank now that she's healthy and back to normal? She's chasing around my Platy's pretty good (I added 2 to the smaller tank) and 2 of the 3 hide from her

kayla.s

If all seems well with the fish then yes glad things have got better. Just keep an eye out of course

kumorisan

Hello friends!~ (≧∇≦)ノ

I just bought two blue gouramis and I've noticed something for the past few days... One of the gouramis would chase the other. It became kinda normal and never really bothered me at first. But over time, the gourami kept chasing after it more and more. After a while, the gourami's stripes started getting darker.

I grew concerned about its health and I started researching about it. Some people on the websites were saying that gouramis can be territorial and sometimes chase or even nip after other fish. Somebody also said that moving the decorations around can help the territory problem, but I wanted to get some more advice first.

Is my gourami getting stressed? If so, could this be fatal? Should I separate the two gouramis?

My tank (so far): 20-gallon tank w/ 2 blue gouramis, 2 potbelly mollies & hornwort(s)

AcornTheBetta

Hello friends!~ (≧∇≦)ノ

I just bought two blue gouramis and I've noticed something for the past few days... One of the gouramis would chase the other. It became kinda normal and never really bothered me at first. But over time, the gourami kept chasing after it more and more. After a while, the gourami's stripes started getting darker.

I grew concerned about its health and I started researching about it. Some people on the websites were saying that gouramis can be territorial and sometimes chase or even nip after other fish. Somebody also said that moving the decorations around can help the territory problem, but I wanted to get some more advice first.

Is my gourami getting stressed? If so, could this be fatal? Should I separate the two gouramis?

More info: 20-gallon tank w/ 2 potbelly mollies & hornwort(s)
I believe we are talking about dwarf gouramis here (Powder Blue maybe?). I would separate the two of them ASAP. I would not put two dwarf gouramis together, especially if they are two males. If I were you, I would return one to your LFS. Ideally, one of them is female and you will be able to keep that one as females are less aggressive than males, but will still be the boss of the tank.

kumorisan

I believe we are talking about dwarf gouramis here (Powder Blue maybe?). I would separate the two of them ASAP. I would not put two dwarf gouramis together, especially if they are two males. If I were you, I would return one to your LFS. Ideally, one of them is female and you will be able to keep that one as females are less aggressive than males, but will still be the boss of the tank.
Nope, these are definitely blue gouramis. The manager who suggested these to me said that it was fine to keep 2 together...

AcornTheBetta

Nope, these are definitely blue gouramis. The manager who suggested these to me said that it was fine to keep 2 together...
I would still do the same thing. I wouldn't test keeping them together...

kumorisan

I would still do the same thing. I wouldn't test keeping them together...
Alright. Thanks for telling me!

Kribensis27

These things are terribly aggressive, especially to their own kind. Separate them as soon as possible. These guys are far worse than dwarf gouramis, they’re like murder machines. The darker stripes are a sign of stress and aggression, astression if you will

kumorisan

These things are terribly aggressive, especially to their own kind. Separate them as soon as possible. These guys are far worse than dwarf gouramis, they’re like murder machines. The darker stripes are a sign of stress and aggression, astression if you will
What kind of gouramis can be kept together? Could I keep them all in my 20-gallon?

Pfrozen

blue gouramis are not the same as powder blue gouramis.. since you have blue gouramis they are a color morph of the opaline gourami and one needs a minimum of 29g alone. this is why you are having aggression issues with 2 in a 20. Most say 2 blue (opaline) gouramis will work in a 55 minimum but even then you really should have 3-5 at least to disperse aggression. for that reason I would rehome those 2 gouramis

AcornTheBetta

What kind of gouramis can be kept together? Could I keep them all in my 20-gallon?
If yoau return all of these blue gouamis, you could get 1 male and 2 female honey gouramis. Just make sure you get true honeys and not thick lipped gouramis.

Dunk2

Can you post a picture?

kumorisan

Attachments

• 20201125_165336.jpg
    20201125_165336.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201125_165342.jpg
    20201125_165342.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 31

Pfrozen

Yup those are Opaline or three-spot gouramis.. those aren't the blue colormorph though, just regular old opaline gouramis

kumorisan

Yup those are Opaline or three-spot gouramis.. those aren't the blue colormorph though, just regular old opaline gouramis
What's the difference?

Pfrozen

What's the difference?

well, the blue ones are blue. lol. maybe its just your lighting?

kumorisan

well, the blue ones are blue. lol. maybe its just your lighting?
Yeah... lighting's not the best.

Dunk2

jinjerJOSH22 Any advice?

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, like some above comments the tank size is too small for these Gourami, who while aggressive are actually quite social. I always recommend a 4ft tank to keep a group of 4 plus fish.

These are the Blue variant, usually just called Three Spots, as the three spots are visible

Pfrozen

Hi, like some above comments the tank size is too small for these Gourami, who while aggressive are actually quite social. I always recommend a 4ft tank to keep a group of 4 plus fish.

These are the Blue variant, usually just called Three Spots, as the three spots are visible

Thanks Josh, I didn't know that I thought the three spot was another name for the opaline variant lol

jinjerJOSH22

Thanks Josh, I didn't know that I thought the three spot was another name for the opaline variant lol
Just to be clear, Opaline, Blue, Gold, Lavender, Platinum are some of the colour variations of the Three Spot Gourami(Trichopodus Trichopterus).

Dunk2

kumorisan I’d take the advice of jinjerJOSH22. He skips birthdays AND birthday CAKE for gourami.

kumorisan

kumorisan I’d take the advice of jinjerJOSH22. He skips birthdays AND birthday CAKE for gourami.
Yes! Thanks for the advice jinjerJOSH22.

Pfrozen

Just to be clear, Opaline, Blue, Gold, Lavender, Platinum are some of the colour variations of the Three Spot Gourami(Trichopodus Trichopterus).

lol ah that makes more sense now. I've never even heard of the Lavender and Platinum variants though those sound neat!

Dunk2

Yes! Thanks for the advice jinjerJOSH22.

Unfortunately, we can’t always rely on the advice of fish store employees. Remember, they’re in the business of selling fish. So. . . Research first!

DoubleDutch

Isn't this "variaty" in fact not the wild / natural type?

I can't see the upper fish that well but could it be these also are two males ?
Adding to the issue

ProudPapa

As mentioned above, a small group of honey gouramis (more females than males) should work. Sparkling gouramis might be another option, but you'd need a fairly large group to disperse aggression, and I'd probably only recommend them if your tank is at least moderately planted.

Kribensis27

Isn't this "variaty" in fact not the wild / natural type?

I can't see the upper fish that well but could it be these also are two males ?
Adding to the issue
They’re not naturally found like this. I believe the natural coloration is closest to the “lavender” color morph. In the wild, they’re mostly brown with a purple shine. It could be two males, although I think just two of the same species is enough to trigger this kind of aggression.

DoubleDutch

They’re not naturally found like this. I believe the natural coloration is closest to the “lavender” color morph. In the wild, they’re mostly brown with a purple shine. It could be two males, although I think just two of the same species is enough to trigger this kind of aggression.
Are you sure ?

Kribensis27

Are you sure ?

Ok, I did some research. Looks like I was half right. I was always informed that the lavender morph was the only naturally occurring one, however it appears there are actually two. The lavender being one subspecies, and the blue being the other. The opaline, gold, and platinum are all selectively bred.

jinjerJOSH22

Ok, I did some research. Looks like I was half right. I was always informed that the lavender morph was the only naturally occurring one, however it appears there are actually two. The lavender being one subspecies, and the blue being the other. The opaline, gold, and platinum are all selectively bred.
I don't think this is quite right either as the Lavender morph is achieved by breeding the Blue and Gold Morphs. The Blue with the clear black spots are the closest to the natural fish you would find in the wild.

Kribensis27

I don't think this is quite right either as the Lavender morph is achieved by breeding the Blue and Gold Morphs. The Blue with the clear black spots are the closest to the natural fish you would find in the wild.
Ok, then I guess this is different from the lavender. It looks fairly similar, just more brown. I ended up just saying lavender because it looks kinda like it. Sorry!

jinjerJOSH22

Browny Blue is also a natural colouration

Hbln

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping someone can help, my blue gourami looks like he may be unwell, I have recently had 1 blue gourami die with no symptoms and I do not want to loose another one. I have copied and pasted the template below.
I have been keeping aquariums for about 10 years, I started with a small coldwater aquarium and have gradually upgraded, I have recently made the jump to a tropical aquarium. Over this time I feel as though I have encountered almost everything fishkeeping has to offer, from fish TB (huge death rate and a full tank restart) to the minor fin rot gone in a couple of days with medication. I am literally always googling and researching fish and new aquarium keeping tips and I have finally decided to join a forum as tropical fish are new to me.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 225L
How long has the tank been running? 6 months (previously set up for coldwater fish for 3 years)
Does it have a filter? Yes External canister Fluval 307
Does it have a heater? Yes Fluval E 300 series
What is the water temperature? 25.5
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
3 blue gouramis, 3 gold gouramis, 1 moonlight gourami, 2 pearl gouramis, 6 nerite snails.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 20%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Master test kit, API GH and KH test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once daily
How much do you feed your fish? Small sprinkle
What brand of food do you feed your fish? King British
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze-dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 day
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Loosing colour, very pale, looking lethargic, seems to be struggling to swim, sitting at top back corner of tank, have noticed small raised lump on both sides of fish near base of tail and clamped fins.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Tank is currently being treated for minor fin rot with API Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behaviour and appearance changed, if at all? Loosing blue colour, still eating fine.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
6 days ago I lost a blue gourami and was unsure why, I did not notice any symptoms with the fish or problems with the tank. 3 days ago I noticed 2 gouramis suddenly showing signs of minor fin rot, immediately starting treating the tank with API Melafix, all fish have been having normally and eating normally. Since yesterday morning one of my blue gouramis has started to behave in an odd way, appears to have lost its colour, its black spots are still very clear, he will sit up in the top corner of the tank for a while and will be slightly active trying to swim with clamped fins but will keep going back to the corner. Today a lump on both sides of the body has appeared, just above the tail. I have managed to get a photo of him below.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 36

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Seasoldier
Replies
Views
SLuGz
Replies