Blue Gourami problems

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tk61295, Jul 1, 2016.

1. t

tk61295 New Member Member

My blue gourami is about 1 yr old he is approx 4 in. over the past few weeks hes been very skiddish and he will spaz out for a second. sometimes he almost jumps out of the tank. Ive read this could be a result of "whirling disease" but this behavior is usually at night, I can also hear him whipping his tail on the side of the tank at night. I also recently noticed hes missing a couple of scales right in front of his dorsal fin. The only other fish in the tank with him is a young female opaline gourami. they seem to get along with each other but when he freaks out so does she I dont believe she is cause of the missing scales due to the fact that she shelters with him but idk. I was just wondering does anyone know if this is whirling disease, ph problem, etc. please help

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

sounds like aggression and poor water quality in a tank that is too small for either of them, let alone both.
    They are typically aggressive with their own species and blues and opalines are the same type.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you give us a bit more info on water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

Your tank is too small for one blue gourami, let alone two. I'd look into upgrading your tank. A 40 gal breeder is a good minimum size.

4. Plecomaker

copycat, lol :)
    a 40 would be a good size for nitrates and all, but there could still be significant aggression issues

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Elaborating and asking for more info :)

6. OP
    OP
    t

tk61295 New Member Member

Moved them into a 40 gallon and realized the ph and temp were wayyyyy off theyre doing fine now thanks guys, less aggression and no "spasms" any more yay!!

7. Plecomaker

Should be easier with temp also, larger bodies of water take more to influence temp change :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice