55 Gallon Tank Blue gourami looking unwell

Hbln

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping someone can help, my blue gourami looks like he may be unwell, I have recently had 1 blue gourami die with no symptoms and I do not want to loose another one. I have copied and pasted the template below.
I have been keeping aquariums for about 10 years, I started with a small coldwater aquarium and have gradually upgraded, I have recently made the jump to a tropical aquarium. Over this time I feel as though I have encountered almost everything fishkeeping has to offer, from fish TB (huge death rate and a full tank restart) to the minor fin rot gone in a couple of days with medication. I am literally always googling and researching fish and new aquarium keeping tips and I have finally decided to join a forum as tropical fish are new to me.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 225L
How long has the tank been running? 6 months (previously set up for coldwater fish for 3 years)
Does it have a filter? Yes External canister Fluval 307
Does it have a heater? Yes Fluval E 300 series
What is the water temperature? 25.5
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
3 blue gouramis, 3 gold gouramis, 1 moonlight gourami, 2 pearl gouramis, 6 nerite snails.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 20%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Master test kit, API GH and KH test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once daily
How much do you feed your fish? Small sprinkle
What brand of food do you feed your fish? King British
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze-dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 day
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Loosing colour, very pale, looking lethargic, seems to be struggling to swim, sitting at top back corner of tank, have noticed small raised lump on both sides of fish near base of tail and clamped fins.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Tank is currently being treated for minor fin rot with API Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behaviour and appearance changed, if at all? Loosing blue colour, still eating fine.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
6 days ago I lost a blue gourami and was unsure why, I did not notice any symptoms with the fish or problems with the tank. 3 days ago I noticed 2 gouramis suddenly showing signs of minor fin rot, immediately starting treating the tank with API Melafix, all fish have been having normally and eating normally. Since yesterday morning one of my blue gouramis has started to behave in an odd way, appears to have lost its colour, its black spots are still very clear, he will sit up in the top corner of the tank for a while and will be slightly active trying to swim with clamped fins but will keep going back to the corner. Today a lump on both sides of the body has appeared, just above the tail. I have managed to get a photo of him below.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.

Firstly I suggest to stop using Melafix in this tank. While I can't say anything for sure I've read that it can damage the Labyrinth organ anabantoids have and use to breath at the surface.
For fin rot, keeping the water quality up is often enough to combat it without the need of medication. Uping the water changes to 50% per week is a good practice to follow.

Have you added anything recently fish, plants etc..?
Could it be aggression from the other Gourami? It's fairly normal for this species and can at times go too far. How many Blue/Gold males do you have? Too many can be a real issue.

It's quite hard to see that photo with the background, more photo's might help as well as photo's of the other Gourami.

Shamannite80

I agree with Josh, stop using melafix. It isn't good for the labyrinth organ on air breathing fish. From my experience you are going to have trouble with that stocking. Gourami are notorious for being ***holes to each other, even across species. How many males and females do you have? If that one is the smallest male, the others cold be picking on him.

Hbln

Wow, thank you! I wasn't aware it was bad for labyrinth organs. I will stop using straight away and do a water change first thing in the morning to remove. Are there any recommended medications for labyrinth fish in case of disease? I have always used Melafix and Pimafix where needed before for fish (not had gouramis before).
No new plants, only new species are the Nerite Snails.
Gourami sexes are, 1 male 1 female pearl, 3 female gold and 1 male 2 female blue and the Moonlight is male.
The fish that died a week ago was the smallest and now this one looking unwell is the smallest. I've not seen anyone picking on anyone, everyone always seems very chilled and gets on with their own thing other than the pearls who are like a married couple.
I can get some more photos taken in the morning as everyone is asleep.

Hbln

Hello!

So update on Blue Gourami, he is looking a little brighter today, is swimming a bit better, hasn't been isolating so much and has barely clamped his fins. I did notice some clear stringy poop from him today though.

I have taken a few new photos of all the Gourami.

Hbln

Today the gourami was back to being lethargic and isolating himself in the corner of the tank. I have moved him to a Q tank with aquarium salt. Determined to keep this little guy alive. Does anyone have any suggestions as I still have no idea what could be wrong with him?

Skrabbitskrabbit

Sorry I don’t have suggestions but maybe someone more experienced will chime in. He’s a cute fish!

Also, (sorry it’s unrelated to your thread but) I love your background, do you know where it came from? Hey m looking for one ...

Hbln

Skrabbitskrabbit said:
Sorry I don’t have suggestions but maybe someone more experienced will chime in. He’s a cute fish!

Also, (sorry it’s unrelated to your thread but) I love your background, do you know where it came from? Hey m looking for one ...
Thank you! I'm hoping that someone can help and he pulls through.

The background is from All Pond Solutions. I've bought a few from them over the years, great quality. Buy the right length for your aquarium and the width can be cut down easily with a knife. It is mounted with Juwel poster fix, great stuff, you won't need much and makes the picture so much clearer, set aside some time though as it can take a bit to get the air bubbles out and I would recommend flattening the background before hand so your corners stick as the backgrounds come rolled.

Shamannite80

Sorry I was busy this week. The best thing I've found for them is aquarium salt. Something else that might help is almond leaves. The next best thing is exactly what you did, move him to qt.

Hbln

Unfortunately the poor thing died today wish I knew why. Hopefully everyone else will be OK.

bettalover101

thats sad how big is your tank in gallons

Hbln

Its 55 gallons

bettalover101

nice tank sorry for your loss a couple of months ago i lost my goldfish from fin rot. myoldest was 6ys and my second oldest was 5ys and they were a pair. so sorry for your loss again its hard when you loose a fish you like.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Sorry to hear the little guy didn’t make it

Hbln

Thank you, it's horrible loosing fish, really upsets me, it's all a learning curve and I just want to get to the bottom of it so I don't end up loosing anymore. My display tank is my pride and joy!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom