Blue Gourami ill since Male introduced? Help

Discussion in 'Blue Gourami' started by Millsey, Dec 30, 2009.

1. MillseyNew MemberMember

Hi All, My blue female gaurami is sitting on the bottom of the tank with opaqe eyes looking like she will die, 5 days after I introduced a male gold gaurami to the tank? Why?

The tank has been running well for 6 months and the blue female gaurami has been happy, healthy and the only Gaurami in the tank till the gold was introduced. When the Gold first went in the Blue took an interest and spent a fair amount of time watching the male gold who was busy hiding in the plants. Now she looks rather ill?

Tank details:
    390L (88Gal)
    Water change every 2 weeks (20%)
    Planted tank
    Ph 6.8
    Temp 27oC (80Deg F)
    External cartidge filter lightly cleaned 2 weeks ago.

Other fish;
    Clown loach
    Tetras
    Bristlenose
    Mystery snails
    Striped Barbs
    Fighting fish

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Craig

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17Well Known MemberMember

By fighting fish do you mean betta fish?

3. OP
    OP
    M

MillseyNew MemberMember

Yes Betta fish male

4. Gouramiguy17

that might be the cause of your problems, gouramis and bettas are too closely related that they will mistake each other for the same species and try to kill each other. Have you noticed the betta going after any fish?

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Millsey and Welcome to Fish Lore. Sorry to hear that your gourami is ill. Seems to be a lot of it going around with this species. A link you may find interest in:

I agree that your Betta (fighting fish) should have a home of it's own with no other tank mates:
    Important Betta Topics - Read First!
    Betta Fish Care Guide

Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? It will be a great help. I hope your fish is going to be ok!
    Thanks!
    Ken

6. Gouramiguy17

Sry ken but that can't be the problem, only dwarf gouramis can get iridovirus, so that can't be it. My money is on the betta, it is probably chasing and/or nipping the gourami causing it to be stressed causing a weaker immune system and which by adding new fish you have introduced new diseases as in ich or other fun things which caused the fish to get sick! Ah ha! That was alot of typing

Edit: after drinking some coffee I have remembered that blue, gold, and platnuim gouramis are suseptible to this disease which could be causing you gourami to feel sick and or unhappy

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. bettafish2816

bettafish2816Fishlore VIPMember

do the eyes look cloudy?

i'd go ahead and do a water change and test your water parameters to make sure everything is good there, and get the sick fish into a quarantine tank if you can. if aggression is the problem that will give the gourami some relief and if some other illness is the issue it will (hopefully) prevent the other fish from getting sick.

8. OP
    OP
    M

MillseyNew MemberMember

Colour Change

Hi all, The betta fish has never chased the blue gourami and looks very peacful and content.

Yes the blue gourami eyes are cloudy, and thismorning there is also blood in the bottom of one eye! Yesterday she also changed color and went very dark. I treated the main tank yesterday for bacteria with Bactonex (Aquasonic). I will move her to seperate tank today and get water tested for Ammonia and Natrates.

Ken, Thanks for the article link on virus, dosn't seem to be much I can do if that is the case....

Thanks for all the great responses, keep them coming.

Happy new year everybody.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  9. OP
    OP
    M

MillseyNew MemberMember

I think that the problem was brought about by the introduction of the male Gourami causing stress in the female. She spent all day watching him! Just an idea...

10. bettafish2816

it could be that the male brought in a disease, if the eyes are cloudy then there is a specific medication to treat for that, but i haven't treated it myself so i'm not sure which one would be the most effective. again if you can remove her to keep her stress levels down and to monitor her more closely that would probably be helpful, but if not then a breeder box/net would help to keep her closer to the surface and prevent the male from bugging her.

11. OP
    OP
    M

MillseyNew MemberMember

She died. Thanks for all your help, its hard to tell what went wrong but I will bear in mind for next time...

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Millsey. So sorry that you lost her. I hate it when we don't know what to do for our fish. A lot of things are just beyond our control. I've read a good many threads that it's best to keep Gouramis, 1 per tank because they can't get along with members of their own kind just like Bettas. I believe this has even been the case when you have a M/F pair. However, Sparkling Gouramis do well together from what I understand. I believe there is one more type too but I"m sorry I can't think of the name of it.
    RIP little lady!
    Ken

13. bettafish2816

so sorry that you lost her :(

14. MorganValued MemberMember

So sorry to hear about your loss. I have two gouramis myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice