blue/gold dust

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I rember reading a while back that if ur betta gets a shimmer its a bad thing.....Well inari has small spots of shimmering blue almost like someone but shimmering dust on him.........Now how can i treat this and **** is it?? is it a common problem? and I have a Bamboo shrimp will any treatment affect him? thanx brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is a "gold dust" look then it sounds like Velvet. There are treatments for it, but the big one is just like you would do for ICH and raise the temperature so the parasite will be free swimming and OFF of Inari. It will need to go to 83 degrees and leaving it there for 14 days (with ICH it is 85 degrees but Velvet - the book says 83) There are cures that can be added to the water but they will mostly contain Copper and I am afraid the shrimp wouldn't be able to be in the tank and would probably reinfect the tank if you removed him to another tank and then put him back in. I would try just raising the temperature and no meds unless you want to get rid of the shrimp or put him in the other tank for good. The other part of the recommended cure is (and in this case I agree) to keep the tank dark. These parasites have a need for light and the loss of light helps to decrease the growth of them.

The thing about raising the temperature is that you really need to have an airstone running. The higher the temperature the less oxygen is being held in the water and when we have to raise the temperature a few degrees for something like this we need to add oxygen by an artificial means (airstone) to keep the water oxygen level up for the fish. Inari will not suffocate as he has a Labyrinth organ and also breathes through it at the surface of the water, but he is already sick and needs not to have to work any harder to breathe while he is in the water than is absolutely necessary. If you should choose not to have an airstone, be sure and watch to see that he is not gasping or gulping air as that could mean he is not getting enough oxygen.

Let me know how he is doing.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
he's pretty active still but now i have to go get an air stone for Hydra well at this rate i might as well make him into a meal lol
i'll keep u posted

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
inari said:
he's pretty active still but now i have to go get an air stone for Hydra well at this rate i might as well make him into a meal lol
i'll keep u posted

brent
I think you misunderstood the airstone I was talking about was for the tank with Inari in it.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Inari and Hydra share a tank!!! Inari makes a mess and Hydra cleans it up well not quite like that but u get the picture...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom