Blue gill tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishGuy101, Dec 16, 2012.

1. F

FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

What would i need to set up a ideal blue gill tank and how

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Bluegills show up in most lakes and ponds I've fished, so I doubt they're particularly fussy. They do appear to like to hang around cover, like plants, though.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Also a vey large tank.

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

A very very very large tank. Think 200g+ for a small group. They get massive and are huge waste producers.

5. OP
    OP
    F

where i usual fish is a small lake where i can catch 3 or 4 inch ones and i was planing on keping one or 2 in a 20 gallon long for a while releasing them back and doing it again

6. OP
    OP
    F

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

That, to me, is the equivalent to sticking you in a closet for a while then letting you out just to do it again... not to be rude just putting it in perspective...

As for the idea setup, blue gill, that I know of, are schoolers so you'd want at least 6 (that's my magic schooling number for all fish) and at least 350g or a decent backyard pond for the group... they ones we've ever caught have always been near lots and lots of foliage and dead trees that have fallen in the water so plants are a must have...

Also once you catch something from the wild it is never, ever a good idea to release it as you chance letting something the other fish have no immunity to leech into the water and could kill an ecosystem (worst case scenario but still a very real one...

8. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Not to mention it is illegal.

9. OP
    OP
    F

they would be alone in the tank

10. OP
    OP
    F

the lake is on my friends property he cheked it out its legal

11. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

No releasing something that has been in your care is illegal...

12. OP
    OP
    F

it is ?

13. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Absolutely. You could release some sort of disease or snail or fungus or anything into the wild. Very dangerous. If you catch them you have to keep them. You'd be better off getting some cool fish you can keep in the 20gal longterm.

14. OP
    OP
    F

ok i was realy hoping i could put one i caught in my friends lake but ok

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice