Blue German Rams breeding

Briggiegers

Hi. I started up my first tropical fish tank at christmas. I have neon tetras, Rummynose Tetras and a pair of blue German Rams. I just noticed earlier that my female started laying eggs on a rock in the tank and the male was coming in after her and fertilizing the eggs. Now my brain is going into overdrive because of this. I am a beginner first of all so have zero experience of what is about to happen or what I should do.

Will the tetras or the parents eat the eggs or fry once hatched?

Should I do anything or is there anything I can do to help these eggs hatch and raise the fry up to being adults? (Seperate into a small breeding tank?)

Should I do nothing and let nature take its course?

What should I feed the fry once they hatch?

I have a million questions to ask but I feel these are the most important ones at this stage. Any feedback would be massively grateful as like I said I'm a complete novice and would love to be successful in this amazing hobby. Thanks in advance

FathomtheFish

Hi,
The parents will protect the eggs and the fry. You can feed them live brine shrimp and daphnia. The parents might also get aggressive towards the tetras, so you might consider separating them? They should be fine if you leave them in.

Briggiegers

Thanks very much for your reply. Appreciate it. I have them in a 240 litre tank. When feeding them the brine shrimp how do I get them to the fry? If I empty them into the tank then wouldn't they go everywhere in the tank and the fry will miss out on the food? That's why I was asking about separating them into a small tank so the food couldn't get away and the fish would be happily fed. Just want to make sure I do this right to give them the best chance. How many times a day and how much baby brine shrimp should I feed them at a time?

Feohw

For the first few spawns the parents will likely eat the eggs/fry themselves. After that the fry tend to get picked off in community tanks ime. If you want to get serious about breeding its best to do so in a separate tank. With my Bolivians I tend to just let nature take its course (though I do feed). This thread is a pretty good resource to help.

ProudPapa

I suspect coralbandit will be along shortly. He's been very successful with breeding and raising GBR's.

Briggiegers

I suspect coralbandit will be along shortly. He's been very successful with breeding and raising GBR's.
Thanks for the reply man

For the first few spawns the parents will likely eat the eggs/fry themselves. After that the fry tend to get picked off in community tanks ime. If you want to get serious about breeding its best to do so in a separate tank. With my Bolivians I tend to just let nature take its course (though I do feed). This thread is a pretty good resource to help.
Thank you very much. I need all the info I can get

coralbandit

You can feed the fry in the 240L with a turkey baster and piece of rigid tubing .
If you get it within a foot of them they and the parents should find them .
GBR are pretty hard to raise and do fail a couple usually as mentioned ..
Watch them a couple times and offer BBS and then decide if you want to give them a tank of their own ..

Briggiegers

You can feed the fry in the 240L with a turkey baster and piece of rigid tubing .
If you get it within a foot of them they and the parents should find them .
GBR are pretty hard to raise and do fail a couple usually as mentioned ..
Watch them a couple times and offer BBS and then decide if you want to give them a tank of their own ..
Great information. Thanks very much

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Charlyc
Replies
Views
Derek2408
Replies
Views
NahNah
Replies