Blue Female Platy & Male Swordtail Molly

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Sephie1, May 12, 2016.

1. Sephie1

Sephie1New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    So I recently got some blue Platies, a male and female, the female isn't breeding age yet, or so they told me. I separated the male and female, but have a male Swordtail, I saw him trying to breed her and looked up if they can cross breed, and they can.

My thing is, I have NEVER bred fish, I don't know what to feed the fry, or anything at ALL about Platies. I have some male & female betta I plan on breeding, but that won't be until next year. My 3 girls just got done with eggs after spotting my giant double fin male.

ANYWAYS! My questions are, will these babies even survive? How do Platies reproduce? Will she be okay breeding to the Molly? What do I feed the babies? What will they look like? How long is she pregnant for? How quickly do the babies age? How many fry do they have? Do they lay eggs, or have a live birth?

It's a lot, I know, but all the forums I have checked and all the research I have read says that she will die and if she doesn't, the babies will be disfigured and unhealthy.. :( Attached is a pic of my male swordtail and my female platy.

2. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your platy is old enough to breed, by a long way. They mate kinda like we do, and then a month later the female gives birth to live fry. All aquarium strains of platies, and swordtails, are actually hybrids between the two. Females can store sperm for up to about six batches of fry (about six months).

Just feed the fry powdered up flake. As far as I know neither species can breed with mollies.

3. OP
    OP
    Sephie1

Sephie1New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    So is my male mollie a swordtail like they told me? I'm not very familiar with Mollies. Can these two produce fry?

4. Stealth

StealthValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    i unintentionally bred my platies, the fry went through the filter except for one which is now 4 weeks old.

5. hampalong

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The male is a Swordtail, not a Molly. They're different species. :)

6. KO_

KO_Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +227
    Experience:
    5 years
    These two can mate BUT, it looks like your Males Gonopodium is very extended. (He is a lyretail swordtail so they will get this) I don't believe he will be able to mate. Unless that picture is just an illusion.

EDIT: Do you have another Molly not pictured? Or was that just a typing error. As hampalong mentioned it is a different species and it is not what you have pictured.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,074
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    As others have explained, Swordtails are not Mollies. Your Sword is a Lyretail, also was noted above, and the gonopodium is deformed and elongated, so he is mechanically unable to fertilize your female Platy. So for now you should have no worries about fry. However, being a male livebearer, he will continue to chase the single female in the tank. This will likely cause stress, and make her more susceptible to illness. The alternatives would be more females to spread his attentions, or remove one of the two fish.

8. hampalong

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would remove the Sword and get a few more platies. They're best kept as one male and at least 2 or 3 females. Male platies can be very persistent like male swords, and having a few females will spread his 'attentions' between them so they can all catch a break.

I would remove the sword because they get much bigger than platies, and need a bigger tank.

:)

9. OP
    OP
    Sephie1

Sephie1New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    I plan on getting either a 60 or 70 gal, my male platy has no interest in the female, he just doesn't care, and my sword goes from my betta females to the platy female, so she gets plenty of breaks.

I plan on putting him back in with my giant double fin betta, I need to rehome my veiltail male, he's just too aggressive. Then he'll be sharing my 10 gal with the betta again. But for now he's in a 15 gal with 4 females, same for the male platy.

Become a Fishlore Member