Blue Eye Fork Tail (pseudomugil) Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by AQUA_LOVER, Apr 13, 2018.

1. AQUA_LOVER

AQUA_LOVER Well Known Member Member

Hi All,

I have a tank that I am currently treating for what I believe to be an internal parasite. I have been medicating flake food with focus and metroplex every second day but today I noticed that my blue eye fork tail has some fungus on his dorsal fin. Can I simultaneously treat with Paraguard to control this issue? should I isolate or dose the whole tank? will it hurt shrimp?

Thanks

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

If it is indeed a fungus and not columnus, i would treat with a herbal medication or add indian almond leaves to the aquarium. Paraguard doesn't work very well. the herbal medication is effective, inexpensive, and doesn't seem to have too harsh of a impact on the other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

I unfortunately have no way to get any other type of medicine ATM. I want to do something to prevent the situation from getting any worse. I did a water change today so hopefully that helps. Here is a picture 1523657562803.jpg

4. D

Don't quote me yet, but that doesn't look like a fungus and since it is on the body of the fish, i'm guessing columnus. Is possible to get a better picture. if it is indeed columnus, your going to need to fight it fast since this is a very hard bacterial infection to control.

5. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

Went through a one day mini cycle, would that be enough to cause it? I did dose with prime to keep the levels safe. It cycled before I had a chance to do a water change. What do you use to cure? Will it spread? Should I treat the whole tank or just the sick fish?

6. D

Bacterial infections in general don't spread and therefore you should only need to treat the fish. Columnaris can be treated using marcyrn which is a bit pricy, but very effective. I would remove the fish to a smaller tank for the reason of it being expensive. about $20 usually for i think 8 packs. The mini cycle i don't think should of cause the problem, most likely it has had it for awhile.

7. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

I have so much going on in my aquarium. Seems like every new fish comes in diseased. I guess I am not QTing for long enough. I never remember having this kind of trouble when I was a kid 20 years ago. I am not sure how to stop these problems.

8. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

@DutchAquarium I started by dosing with paraguard as I had it on hand. It kept the situation from getting worse, and the fish is still otherwise healthy and active, but it has not gone away. Maracyn is especially hard to come by in Canada and my LFS does not carry it at all.

9. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

I have a better photo but it has not gotten any worse or better. It sort of reminds me of a wart. It is a white bump and I can see how the scales have moved around the bump itself. 20180417_185626.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice