Blue Dwarf Crayfish

1. Izk.dayic.850

Izk.dayic.850 New Member Member

I recently jumped into the DWARF crayfish adventure, pick up what was told BLUE but what I have received (total of 6, from 2 different sellers) . All of them have a hint of blue but not like pictures that I brought from.

2. OP
    OP
    Izk.dayic.850

Izk.dayic.850 New Member Member

3 I bought are still .5', so don't expect a see color yet, but the 3 there I got are 1' and look closely to Cajun line.
    I did add my sapphire blue Shrimp to attempt to stimulate the blue color.

Is there a treatment I can do to my tank, or parameters change to get better color?

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

The average blue dwarf crayfish isn't really blue....you aren't going to see blue like the larger electric blue crayfish.

I bred the Cambarellus diminutus years ago. The ones I started with were mostly grayish brown. I did selective linebreeding for a while until I created a stunning electric blue dwarfs!! But that turned out to be a terrible decision because it weakened the line and eventually they couldn't breed anymore and many of them died young. They aren't supposed to be that blue. And I weakened them by trying to make them that way.

So ya. don't expect them to be super blue.

4. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Mine are more of a sky blue. Blue mottled with brown atm because the oh in their tank is higher than it's supposed to me

5. saddleupjep

saddleupjep New Member Member

Old post but I was told by my seller that my pH needed to be kept under 6.7 or they would molt brown. They molted in the mail, actually, so they arrived brown, but after several months at 6.5 one of them regained a bluish tinge.

6. MamaVic

MamaVic New Member Member

I know this is an old post, but I have a brood of crayfish and they have a rather surprising range of colors, from a mottled brown with a tinge of blue to blue on top and pinkish brown on the bottom, to a mottled relatively bright blue.

7. saddleupjep

saddleupjep New Member Member

Mine eventually blued up some on the top, then his legs after a year, but it was a dull dark mottled blue. Can I ask what pH you keep yours at?

8. MamaVic

MamaVic New Member Member

Tested today and my pH is about 7.5. KH is about 80. Chlorine is undetectable. GH is about 150. Nitrite is undetectable. Nitrate is a bit under 20.

9. H Farnsworth

H Farnsworth Valued Member Member

not sure if its relevant but i keep blue shrimp (neocaridina) with the pH at around 8 and of all the colors blue comes out the strongest