Blue Dream And Orange-eyed Blue Tigers

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon Walstad bowl that has been running for 2 months. Parameters are stable, no ammonia or nitrite and virtually no nitrates. pH has been 7.5, GH of 8 and KH of 7. TDS of my water tends to stay in the 90s. Nearly every square inch is planted and it is extremely lush and healthy. Lately I have been adding a little Bacter AE once or twice a week to get enough biofilm in the tank. While the tank has been maturing I only performed a single water change nearly 3 weeks ago.

My plan is to stock it with 10 blue dream neocaridina and 10 orange-eyed blue tigers (possibly some zebra-striped babaultis). Right now it is home to a lone Amano and a handful of hitchhiker snails, as well as the usual microfauna found in a shrimp tank (copepods, various worms, etc). My question is, given the above parameters, will all these shrimp live comfortably and thrive?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think the pH is a bit off for the OEBTs, they prefer 6.8-7.2. You could still try it if you wanted, I haven't had personal experience with them but that's what I've heard. The blue dreams would definitely thrive in those parameters though, no doubt about that.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
I think the pH is a bit off for the OEBTs, they prefer 6.8-7.2. You could still try it if you wanted, I haven't had personal experience with them but that's what I've heard. The blue dreams would definitely thrive in those parameters though, no doubt about that.
It's a shame there aren't a lot of readily available (and affordable) caridina shrimp that do well in hard water. Bummer... I was really wanting some contrast without interbreeding. I think the babaultis would do well but from what I hear they breed so slowly...

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
It's a shame there aren't a lot of readily available (and affordable) caridina shrimp that do well in hard water. Bummer... I was really wanting some contrast without interbreeding. I think the babaultis would do well but from what I hear they breed so slowly...
The kh seems a little high to me, I have no idea about tds. I think neos will probably be fine. Maybe start with them and then attempt the tigers.

I wish neos weren't so expensive here. Any color other than red costs 7-8 bucks a pop. My last purchase at the LFS had me so nervous cause they had wild colors mixed in, were trying to sell those at that price as yellows. Young wild colored shrimp in a dark room with weak lighting can look yellowish fyi.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SegiDream said:
The kh seems a little high to me, I have no idea about tds. I think neos will probably be fine. Maybe start with them and then attempt the tigers.

I wish neos weren't so expensive here. Any color other than red costs 7-8 bucks a pop. My last purchase at the LFS had me so nervous cause they had wild colors mixed in, were trying to sell those at that price as yellows. Young wild colored shrimp in a dark room with weak lighting can look yellowish fyi.
Think I could cut my tap with distilled? It's only a 3 gallon tank so a gallon of distilled water won't be a huge expense in the long run. Otherwise I might just do 20 neos.

I'm looking to buy mine from Flip Aquatics. He's pricey but quarantines all his shrimp for 30 days so you don't get stuff like green fungus. I bought my last batch from another site that was cheaper and had others ordered through SunPet, the wholesaler my job uses, but now some of my cherries have scutariella...

UPDATE: Well, in the process of creating this thread, they sold out of the orange-eyed tigers. I just ended up buying 20 blue neos lol

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah well that's a shame that they sold out. I wish I could tell you about the distilled water. I suppose you could but I have no experience with that or tigers.

Have you tried fenbendazole for the shrimp? I used it for hydra a few weeks ago, it worked well and didn't affect the shrimp. Affected the cycle though.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SegiDream said:
Ah well that's a shame that they sold out. I wish I could tell you about the distilled water. I suppose you could but I have no experience with that or tigers.

Have you tried fenbendazole for the shrimp? I used it for hydra a few weeks ago, it worked well and didn't affect the shrimp. Affected the cycle though.
Hadn't considered fenbendazole. Suppose I could take the biomedia out and just throw a handful of duckweed in the tank to compensate.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
I'm super tired, so I guess I just missed it, but what is the fenbendazole for?
Also, that will definitely kill off any snails and detritus works, just fyi
Yeah, just looked it up.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Is it for Hydra? If you need it, I know I'll have a good bit of extra when I'm done treating with it.
Scutariella Japonica.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm so sorry for clogging up this thread, I'm a bit absent minded right now, I remember the other one my bad

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
I'm super tired, so I guess I just missed it, but what is the fenbendazole for?
Also, that will definitely kill off any snails and detritus works, just fyi
It's one of the few meds out there that is shrimp safe and effective against many pests though. I used a low dose and still have some worms and several limpets in the tank.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SegiDream said:
It's one of the few meds out there that is shrimp safe and effective against many pests though. I used a low dose and still have some worms and several limpets in the tank.
Don't get me wrong, I know what fenbendazole is and I even have it for my tank, I just couldn't figure out what that had to do with stocking the tank lol.
Also, one thing you may want to consider is a different type of tiger, as eventually they will breed and you'll end up with too many neos and too many tigers, and if you end up selling them, well, the babies look pretty similar. But tigers often work better with neos than other caridina as most other caridina need much more acidic water and lower gH and kH values than the neos do. I say let your blue dream population grow for a bit and figure out the parameters of your new tank, and when they get the tigers you want back in stock, go ahead and grab a few. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics, I love the look of your new tank!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Don't get me wrong, I know what fenbendazole is and I even have it for my tank, I just couldn't figure out what that had to do with stocking the tank lol.
I had mentioned one or possibly both of my previous sources for shrimp ended up having scutariella, so I bought my new shrimp from Flip Aquatics because Rob quarantines all his imported shrimp for 30 days.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fahn said:
I had mentioned one or possibly both of my previous sources for shrimp ended up having scutariella, so I bought my new shrimp from Flip Aquatics because Rob quarantines all his imported shrimp for 30 days.
That makes complete sense, I'm sorry my brain just wasn't turned on yesterday, I apologise.

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
Were those sources online and if so can I ask where? Just want to avoid this problem cause I've been tempted to order online. I've been very lucky so far with the ones I've gotten from my lfs. Long story short their practices are not up to par - at least well if it were my store I would do a few things differently.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SegiDream said:
Were those sources online and if so can I ask where? Just want to avoid this problem cause I've been tempted to order online. I've been very lucky so far with the ones I've gotten from my lfs. Long story short their practices are not up to par - at least well if it were my store I would do a few things differently.
Pretty sure the infected shrimp came from SunPet, a California based wholesale distributor.

The other place I've ordered shrimp was Aquatic Arts. They are reputable but I have heard stories of people getting shrimp from them with ellobiopsidae or scutariella.

Needless to say, I'd rather spend more (Flip Aquatics charges for 5 shrimp what Aquatic Arts charges for 10) and know I am being sent shrimp that were monitored and treated for 30 days to ensure they are disease free.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Well, sad update. Hit a bit of financial trouble so I emailed Rob from Flip Aquatics this morning and asked him to cancel my order. I was really hoping to upload pics of the tank with the blues in it, but making my car payment and ensuring I have phone service and gas/grocery money comes first.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dang that's a shame, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure you'll be able to get them soon enough, it is a really beautiful tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom