Blue diamond twitching/head shaking Help

1. fishlee Member Member

My blue discus has been hiding all week but rushes out when it knows its going to get fed. When it comes out it "twitches" and shakes. It is the only one doing it and my water is fine. Also it doesnt scratch and scrape its gills there fine. Not open or clamped.
    Ph 6.4-6.5
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    5-10 nitrates
    Any ideas what it could be?
    I also do an odd dose of lavamissole once a month or so......

on a side note, i saw a dark angel today i was going to buy but it had one eye slightly enlarged. Can this be cured i know not to buy damaged goods but it is tempting :rolleyes:

2. fishlee Member Member

:screwy:

3. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

it sounds to me that your Blue Discus is being bullied. other than hiding it seems normal. the twitches and shakes may be a sign of external parasites but I wouldn't rush to anything at the moment. if anything raise the temp to 88 degrees for about 3 days. if the twitching and shakes becomes more intense or darting starts I would add some activated carbon.

as for the dark angel, don't let the beauty deceive you. obviously you already know damaged goods should not be bought. even if they told you it was free because of the damage. all you'd be doing is bringing a damaged fish to cause more damage. the store should do the right thing and cull it.

4. fishlee Member Member

Thanks for the reply. Ill turn the heat up a bit. What will the carbon do tho? I thort it only removed chemicals and some metals.

5. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

it will clear unseen unbalances in the water column.

6. virusmk Well Known Member Member

twitching fins and grinding of the plants and urnaments could be a good sign that you might have some parasite in the tank. Not necessary bat parasite but it is possible.

I had similar issues with my tank as well where a lot of times my discuses would twitch their fins and occasionally scrached sideways of the plants.

I had and still have some parasite in the tank but hoping all bad things are killed now