Blue Diamond Tetra, Alestopetersius smykalai

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by chromedome52, Jul 19, 2015.

1. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I just got a spawn from a trio of this species last night/this morning, probably due to the storm front that went through. It is an uncommon African Tetra that gets about 3 inches, males have long dorsal and anal fins. Not considered an easy fish to breed, but I was familiar with the necessary techniques. After all, the significance of this spawn is that the trio was born in my tank June of last year. So I have now produced a second generation (assuming the eggs hatch). Last year I raised a number of fry, sold most of them at the Ohio Cichlid Association's Extravaganza. I had 4 young left, and one old female. They kind of got ignored, and I think the darned Angels took out the runt. However, I recently decided to take a shot with the kiddies, so I set up a tank and caught them out. Only put the three youngsters in the breeding tank, and the male had exceptionally long fins for his size. Three days later we get a big low passing through and viola! Eggs.

I need to get a photo of these fish, have a picture of one of their daddies but it's not great.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Congrats on the spawn! We would definitely like to see pictures.

Barometric pressure changes from storms are one of the spawning triggers alot of breeders use. When I used to breed angelfish I used that technique quite often. That along with large water changes a degree cooler works as well.

Carol

3. OP
    OP
    chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Here's a photo of the father from last year. The little male has even more finnage, especially on the anal.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice