Blue devil in sump

Asomeone

Recently purchased a blue devil and added it to my established tank. Tank has 2 paired clowns that I've had for over a year. As soon as I added the damsle he started bullying the clowns. I gave it 2 days and he continued. This type of behavior will not be tolerated...said in a dad voice...and I ripped out all my rock to catch that fast butt. Long story short he's in my sump. Theres some rock down there but its mostly equipment. Should I catch and bag the fish for return? It was only 10 bucks so I don't care about the cost or will it do fine in a roughly 5gal water volume 10 gal total volume sump. Its got nothing to bother down there. Tank turnover on the 40 gal is about 400gph.
Its one of those things where you have your prized pet and then you try to add some street dog to the mix you felt was in need of a place and might add some personality...and then it gets to the home and eats your couch and you just think...well i see why you were outside.

ChrissFishes01

I'd say it'll be okay for quite a while, but if you have nothing better to do with him, I'd return him to a store.

I've got a 55 set up with a group of assorted damsels and a pair of Clarkii Clowns, as well as a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. The mantis doesn't bother the fish, the Clowns are getting huge and extremely aggressive, and the damsels tail slap eachother and run back to their dens. It works out. Any one of these fish wouldn't work in your average reef tank, but work great here.

TL;DR - I love damsels, but will probably never keep them again in a non-damsel specific tank.

Upvote 0

Asomeone

I'd say it'll be okay for quite a while, but if you have nothing better to do with him, I'd return him to a store.

I've got a 55 set up with a group of assorted damsels and a pair of Clarkii Clowns, as well as a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. The mantis doesn't bother the fish, the Clowns are getting huge and extremely aggressive, and the damsels tail slap eachother and run back to their dens. It works out. Any one of these fish wouldn't work in your average reef tank, but work great here.

TL;DR - I love damsels, but will probably never keep them again in a non-damsel specific tank.
I have a freshwater cichlid tank that all of that occurs in and I'm okay with it because they have their pecking order. However, my clowns will rule the tank because....they just will idk...I'll make it happen haha. Part of the problem is the added damsel was larger than then either of the clowns. It wanted their nice spot next to some coral.
I'll likely send him back as it just adds to the waste. Pretty fish.
I got him to replace my 6 line wrasse that jumped and got ate by my dog. Just gonna go find another 6 line and a tighter lid.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I have a freshwater cichlid tank that all of that occurs in and I'm okay with it because they have their pecking order. However, my clowns will rule the tank because....they just will idk...I'll make it happen haha. Part of the problem is the added damsel was larger than then either of the clowns. It wanted its nice spot next to some coral.
I got him to replace my 6 line wrasse that jumped and got ate by my dog. Just gonna go find another 6 line and a tighter lid.
Yeah, I equate damsels to some of the more aggressive Africans. In the right tank, they're absolutely gorgeous, fun, and hardy. Put them in the wrong tank, though, and you'll have a tough time.

Upvote 0

Asomeone

Welp I cant find the devil i put in the sump. I know I put him in there but I cannot for the life of me find it. I don't think its possible it jumped since there's easily 10 inches between the water line and the top of the sump. Running theory...after i caught it I tried to put it in the sump immediately. Checked the sump after 2 minutes and didn't find it. Checked all around the tank and still nothing. Checked the net. fish. So I plopped it in and it was swimming about. Now I cant find it and I think it died after the prolonged out of water period. So now I'm gonna have to rip apart the sump to ensure it in fact died and isn't clogging up one of my pumps or skimmer. Damsels give me headaches.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

I have a freshwater cichlid tank that all of that occurs in and I'm okay with it because they have their pecking order. However, my clowns will rule the tank because....they just will idk...I'll make it happen haha. Part of the problem is the added damsel was larger than then either of the clowns. It wanted their nice spot next to some coral.

I would strongly advise against getting another 6 line Wrasse. They are well known for turning into pescacidal maniacs as they mature. Is the display tank a 40 breeder?

Upvote 0

Asomeone

I would strongly advise against getting another 6 line Wrasse. They are well known for turning into pescacidal maniacs as they mature. Is the display tank a 40 breeder?
I had a very good experience with my 6 line it was added after the clowns established and I've found that the blue devils have been extremely more aggressive comparatively. Its a 35ish square tank.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

I had a very good experience with my 6 line it was added after the clowns established and I've found that the blue devils have been extremely more aggressive comparatively. Its a 35ish square tank.

How long have you had the 6 line?

Upvote 0

Asomeone

How long have you had the 6 line?
6 line is gone. 6 line got ate by my dog after jumping. I had it about a year. I did find the damsel, it is alive and well and pending a day off of work for return to the fish store.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

6 line is gone. 6 line got ate by my dog after jumping. I had it about a year. I did find the damsel, it is alive and well and pending a day off of work for return to the fish store.

Generally it's about the 1.5-2 year mark where most people run into problems with them. It's not uncommon for them to be perfectly fine and then suddenly have a serious case of Jeckyl and Hyde. I'm a member of a large number of forums and groups and every time someone posts on of those "Fish you regret adding to your tank" type posts the 6 line comes up in the top 5 every single time. Also plenty of posts about people having nightmares with them: 6 line wrasse aggressive - Google Search

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Asomeone
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Zach72202