Blue Dempsey and albino tiger oscar 29 g tank

pdempsey

Reaction score
Hello all, I just set up a 29 gal that has large black (shiny) also blue gravel (sm rocks), large drift wood-with cove/cave, plastic banzai tree (*which provides a cave like feel), a whisper 60 gal, another 30 gal whisper a 12 inch bubble bar and 5 inc bubble disc for strong aeration. In this tank I just put one 1 1/2 inch Electric blue Jack Dempsey in with the same size (a bit larger maybe almost 2 inch) albino tiger Oscar. I understand that this will clearly only work for a little while as I will need to save and buy a much larger tank (I was thinking @least 100gal) but for now do you think they will be okay?They seem to get along for now but it's only been a few days. Please give me some expert advise all around for this tank setting. (Which these 2 in this small 29 looks amazing...)

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It will probably be fine for maybe a couple of months, but that's about it. Eventhough they don't show it on the outside, they continue to grow on the inside, and trying to maintain water quality of these potentially large fish that grow like weeds, you run the risk of stunting them if you keep them in that 29 for long. A 100 gal. sounds like an excellent idea. Glad to hear you want to take good care of them!

pdempsey

Reaction score
As I read thoughout the post logged across this site/forum I was hoping you got this and replied so thank you my friend. Please allow me to ask a few more since your on line Is there anything other than what I mentioned that I could do in the meantime to provide the best possible environment while these little buggers are small (Lil, and while I talk me wife into letting me buy the 100 gal the correct way!) I see very mixed reviews on live plants as the Oscar will destroy it. I feed them (at this point) what I was told was the best baby pellet Cichlid Gold <Hikari> two pinches (approx 15-20 pellets) 2-3 times a day and keep the temp at 80 strong. The rest of the water conditions I tested(with tubes not strips) and have everything correct. Give me a nugget overhere

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oscars usually destroy plants. They like to rearrange the decorations to their liking, not yours. Anything you put in the tank needs to be sturdy (including heaters!) or your oscar will destroy it. Glass heaters have a tendency to get broken. I suggest you get titanium or stainless steel heaters for your oscar tank. Marineland also makes a very good hard plastic heater. Hikari is much better than a lot of what is available. Omega One and New Life Spectrum brands are considered the best. My oscars get Omega One cichlid pellets, and the tetramin jumbo sticks only because they like them. I wish they would only eat the Omega One. I also try and give them variety like freeze dried or frozen shrimp, and one of these days, I'm gonna try them on homemade to get them to eat a little bit of veggies! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom