Blue crayfish

1. joiakimfish

joiakimfish Valued Member Member

Are they recommended for beginners ... I'm thinking about getting one ...im doing some research right nowbut would like to here from you guys

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Don't keep them with fish or they'll try to/will succeed in eating them! Very pretty though.

3. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

So a divider would be needed to safely keep it ....even if the other fish are all relatively quick ?

4. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

The only fish you can keep with blue crayfish are chiclids. Any other fish will be likely eaten if the crayfish is ever hungry or of a fish gets to close to them.

5. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I see... Is that because a lot of them get decent in size? Ok so I was planing on putting a tiger oscar in the tank I just found by my job .50g how would these to fair together?

6. TexasDomer

I wouldn't keep cichlids with them. Really they should be in tank without fish. If you really wanted to add fish, consider hatchetfish - they stay only at the top. But crayfish can climb and may still try to grab them.

An oscar is too big for a 50 gal. And I wouldn't put them together. The oscar could try to eat it.

7. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I keep forgetting to check the profiles on here .... It says 75g that's no good ..maybe I can keep him in the tank alone probably onLy way that could work hmm ...I haven't seen any stores around me selling hatchet fish possible on line ....

8. Sarah73

You need a 20gal minimum for 1 crayfish. Now if you get dwarf Mexican crayfish then you can put other fish with them. Like grouping fish. No big fish with the dwarfs because they will be eaten. Dwarfs don't usually go for fish unless they are very weak and aren't feed.

9. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Never heard of those I could but those in my main Comunity tank and not half to worry

10. Sarah73

Cool! They are called orange Mexican dwarf crayfish.

11. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Mexican dwarf crayfish can be just as nasty. Mine has been seen pinching guppy tails if he hasn't been fed. IMO, all crayfish species should be kept alone.

12. TexasDomer

You could get a 20 gal long and get 2-3 crawfish? Just make sure you're not getting the ones that will grow to be lobster size :)

13. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Probably won't be able to get another tank any time. Soon don't have the space.... If theirs a risk of putting them in my tank at home ...their gonna go in my 50g witch has not been setup yet (building a stand) I wouldn't mind having a few in their by them selves ...or the BC could be in his own home I don't mind

14. Sarah73

2-3 Regular crayfish in a 20gal? That's a big no no unless you mean dwarf ones. Each crayfish should have at least 20gal(not including the dwarfs).

15. TexasDomer

I think 2, up to 6" crawfish in a 20 gal long is fine (if they get along). We can agree to disagree.

16. Sarah73

Hmm. I would only put one crayfish in a 20g because if you put more than one they will attack and kill each other. Crayfish need a lot of room and once one crayfish goes into another crayfishes territory you will only have one crayfish or both very injured crayfish. This is a serious matter. But you can get a divider and put two in a 20gal, but their won't be a lot of space to roam around in.