Blue Crayfish Newbie Experience

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Left my 2 Blue Crayfishs to my friend to look after as I have to leave the country for half a month.

A few days before I was about to come back, he told me that one of the crayfish is dead.
I thought that it was false alarm like before when it was molting, unfortunately I know it was not when he told me it turned red.

Anyway, when I got back, I found my other crayfish becoming weak and not even have the strength to move.

I knew something is not right somewhere.
They are not suppose to be dying like that.

My immediate instinct is to add some salt to the water.
It works and is now moving and feeding well again.

Now, I thought they were freshwater crayfish???
Salt is necessary???
If not, why does the salt help?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Salt in not necessary, and it is likely the salt had nothing to do with the recovery. The whole idea behind salt is that it increases the slime coat of the fish. Crays don't have a slime coat.

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you guys are right as the water he given them is just enough to cover the crayfish.

Many thanks.

theemon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would clean the tank, and fill it back up. and they are correct, salt does nothing for crays(that i know of)

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
^^ Agree, salt does not help crays. Molting is very stressful on them and if they are disturbed while molting they can easily die. If they are bugged by other fish or disturbed. Molting takes a lot out of them and their shells get really soft.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom