Blue Crayfish might be dying but not sure

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Brad1776, Dec 21, 2012.

1. B

Brad1776 New Member Member

I have what I believe to be a Blue Crayfish (Label at the pet shop said "Blue Lobster") and it has started acting strange.

I got it yesterday and it was very active, walking around the tanks edge etc. but today it seems like it is dying. Earlier it was laying on it's back and I've given it lettuce/fish flakes because I researched and saw that it is okay to feed them that. She hasn't been eating anything from what I can tell and I have put her in a tank by herself until she becomes active again. Due to her seeming ill, I have her in a smaller tank (roughly 5 gallons but she's a baby I think).

What could be the issue? It is also missing one leg and I was thinking one of my other fish might have got it but then I noticed the leg in the new tank I have her in. I moved it to a smaller tank so it can be by itself and left alone.

What can I do to rehabilitate it?

Here is a picture of it:
    1356076699996.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated because even though I JUST got it I still like it a lot and want to see it get better asap.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning, welcome to Fish Lore!

Maybe it's getting ready to molt? Let's get more responses.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you for the welcome!

I just hope she doesn't die on me. I just checked on her and she is still in the same place she has been for maybe a few hours but she's still alive. She moves a leg every once in a while but is very still for the most part.

I guess not many people know about the Blue Crayfish...... It is still acting the same way as it was yesterday. I'm seriously thinking it will die soon and I can't find any information about why it is acting how it is. It doesn't seem to be eating and I'm worried.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

There's not a whole lot you can do, just keep it in clean water and hope it comes around.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Yeah it would seem that way. There has been a few times that I thought it was dead but then it moved. I guess I'm just going to have to leave it be until it changes color or is obviously dead. It's as if it is in hibernation or something. It cost me 200 peso (roughly $5) and it only lasted one day.... I still want to get another one though as perhaps this instance was significant to only this crayfish. They're a joy to watch.

What would be the best type of food y'all think would be to feed them in your opinion? Like does anyone know of any brands or specific types of food and where to get it? I want something that is specific for the Crayfish next time.

6. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

They are scavengers so they aren't particular about their food, any high quality fish flake or pellet is fine. I'm planning to incorporate malunggay leaf (moringa) into my fishes/inverts diet soon but haven't tried it yet, seems to be another good alternative to the basic staple that should be available in your region if he'll eat it.

7. Aquarist

Good morning,

A couple of links for you to check out:

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Crayfish.htm

I hope it recovers!

Is the Crayfish in the 20g tank that you just set up on 12/17/12? According to your Profile Information you are not aware of the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle <--link which is crucial to fish keeping. The Crayfish may be suffering from Ammonia Poisoning being in an aquarium that isn't cycled.

Another link to the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...96-nitrogen-cycle-newbies-friendly-guide.html

I would suggest a 50% water change and add a Water Conditioner called Prime or Amquel + (hopefully you can find these in your area) to detox Ammonia. Keep up with the daily water changes until you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20 Nitrates (under 40 not so bad).

Do you have a test kit? The kit most widely recommended on Fish Lore is the API (liquid) Master Test Kit. This kit will test for everything mentioned in the Nitrogen Cycle links above. Note: Paper Test Strips can be inaccurate and difficult to read. Liquid Kits are much better.

Best wishes for your critter! :)

Ken

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    B

Well unfortunately she died. I'm going to have to wait a while before I get another one because I want to be more advanced in fish keeping before I risk another one's life again. I feel like I murdered it or rather sentenced it to it's own demise. I guess I just get too attached to my fish but I am a beginner so I guess it is expected. Nonetheless, thank you all for your information especially the Nitrogen Cycle info. you've provided. Also the food knowledge will be of help in the future when I try again.

I'm not sure EXACTLY where I can get a good test kit like the API (liquid) Master Test Kit but I have an idea where some kits are available. Most of the fish stores around here keep very basic items as they are corner store type pet shops that are located in the middle of nowhere. Having items shipped here can be very expensive so I probably will not be able to order that specific testing kit online. There are, however, more advanced pet shops I can visit and check to see if they have the aforementioned testing kit. *fingers crossed*

Thanks again everyone. Your info has brought certain elements to my attention that I might have otherwise disregarded beings how I'm a novice. Salamat po.

9. Aquarist

Good morning,

So hate to hear that you lost the Cray. We've all made mistakes along the way so do not be too hard on yourself.

Keep us posted.

Ken

10. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your loss, you really should try find the API master test kit (liquid) it is much more accurate than the tester strips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice