Blue crayfish (lobster) died after molting :(

kaybee23

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Got my boyfriend a blue lobster since he had been begging for one.Bought him a new tank and set it up for him. He was a baby so we kept him in a 5 1/2 gallon by himself,he had plenty of room.
(I've been keeping fish for a little over a year)

We had him for 2 weeks.

Water parameters were fine,(I kept up with them).Tank was about 75ish. He was healthy,eating a lot,and active. We noticed him start to act strange,so I researched and I figured he was going to molt. Next morning,he had molted. (YAY!) No missing limbs,in perfect health. I knew he couldn't be fed,because his mouth was still soft,but I let a sinking wafer sit for a while just in case. He didn't eat. Did the typical hiding behavior, since the molt. I checked on him during the day,and the tank was 68 degrees,I figured it was because our room was a bit chilly. I thought heater would work itself out since he was acting fine. I came home from errands,and he was on his back dead. I tried reviving him for about 10 minutes,to no avail.

Any clue what happened? has this happened to anyone else ?

RIP Jeb,we'll miss you buddy .:'(

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry to hear about that......that is never a nice thing to find. curious.....how did you try to revive him? I picture you giving him mouth to mouth lol.

I had a blue cray a couple years ago....he died unexpectedly too. mine was in a 40 gallon though. the 5.5 you have is too small, but if you say the water was fine....but idk. maybe it was just one of those things.

if you buy another.....consider getting a larger tank. 20 gallon long, or more. welcome to fishlore too!

OP
K

kaybee23

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
His shell was still soft,but I tried reviving him by gently pumping his chest with my finger,I obviously didn't care about being pinched lol. No mouth to mouth haha. I use API liquid test kit,so I knew everything was okay. He was only about 2 1/2 inches long,the 5.5 was only a temporary setup.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
good on the temporary set up thing.....but be sure to have the bigger tank , before you get the cray next time. just easier on everyone.

well sometimes things happen. maybe he was sick before you got him. you'll prob never know. the only thing I can think of is copper. inverts are sensitive to that. you didn't use anything with that in it right? or nothing accidentally got sprayed near the tank?

OP
K

kaybee23

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe he was sick before,especially since he came from petco..so who knows.It's hard to tell with inverts. Copper I know isn't the issue. I'm very particular about my tanks,I don't let anyone touch them but me,let alone spray anything near them lol. It's a mystery I guess,a strange one too.

New Threads