Blue crayfish, cherry barbs and an african butterfly 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by Jaysee, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +247
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  2. used2bN2horsesLOL

used2bN2horsesLOLWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    1 year
    So pretty. I love the blue crayfish. I see them at the store but I'm scared to keep them. I don't think they are profiled here on FL =(

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Ratings:
    +247
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The blues are just like regular crayfish....only blue

4. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    4 years
    Nice Video

The crayfish really stands out

Chris

5. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Ratings:
    +247
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    thanks. The black sand and background really help.

6. Erica0107

Erica0107Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but I was really curious about this tank. I'm planning on eventually upgrading my current stock to a bigger planted tank. I would love to do something like this for my sons 29, probably adding some skull decorations and a volcano with a red LED for the bubbles. Very spooky, boyish tank

Jaysee, I noticed in another thread that you now have a golden wonder killi instead of the african butterfly. Was there an issue of compatability? I think my son would love the butterfly fish and would probably prefer it over the killi.

Do you ever lose any cherry barbs to the cray?

Also, how did you do the lighting in this? It looks so dark and yet the fish still stand out

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Ratings:
    +247
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The golden wonder killis are now in the 90 with the african butterfly. Before the butterfly was in the 29 in the video, I had the killis in there. I have no compatibility issues with them in the 90.

To be honest, the GW killi is a much more active fish. The butterfly was the most active I've ever seen in it that video. Normally it just hangs out at the surface. The butterfly is much cooler looking though, and I agree your son will probably like it better.

Its really rare that I lose a barb to the crayfish. I've kept tigers, cherry, gold and rosey barbs with crayfish with almost zero predation over the years. Barbs make for excellent crayfish tankmates for several reasons.

For the lighting - the black background and black sand is responsible for a lot of it. Also, the tank has a glass top, so sometimes I move the light to the front of the tank - that creates shaddows in the back of the tank for the fish to come in and out of.

8. Erica0107

Erica0107Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks so much Jaysee! It will unfortunately be quite awhile before I'll be able to change things around, but when I do, I think this will make a great tank for my son. I wish I would have done this is the first place now, but oh well, you live and learn