Blue Cobalt Angelfish ***Great To Know Before Purchasing***

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by AnthonyC4C, Dec 23, 2012.

1. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

When purchasing a Blue Cobalt Angelfish its good to know its temperament with other Blue Cobalt Angelfish, I unfortunately found this information out the hard way. Now its already a given that even though Angelfish are semi aggressive and can populate community tanks with no issues, some angelfish such as a Blue Cobalt Angelfish can still live happily with other fish BUT NEVER BUY 2 OF THEM, Blue Cobalt Angelfish may not bother any other fish you may have BUT These Angelfish have Order and Rank, THERE is ALWAYS A Dominator! Now I personally had to go out and get more Blue Cobalt Angelfish so they can act more like a pack instead of one practically destroying and ripping the shreds out of the other, THIS Will help keep the aggression down AFTER the dominant role has been established...BUT 2, DONT DO IT ESPECIALLY Since most, ESPECIALLY beginners, myself can not differentiate between males and females... Beautiful Blue Cobalt Angelfish at a average cost of 14.99 its not fun too flush 15 bucks PLUS tax down the toilet... So if you want them be prepared to either just buy one (but we as people believe they ALWAYS need a friend, LoL) OR at least buy 4.... just my novice experience lived first hand :)

If anyone has different stories and experiences please share, I lost a link that explained A LOT about these Blue Cobalt Angelfish that backed my experience and information.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Sorry you lost an angel. :(

That is interesting indeed, they should be standard Pterophyllum scalare, so unless the aggression was bred into them I'm not sure what would make them different tempermant wise from any other commonly available angel. Is there possibly another factor in play here like crowding? That can instigate aggression.

I'd be interested to see what some of our more experienced angel keeping members think of this situation.

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

How big is the tank, how many Angels? Blue Cobalts are just a color morph. They aren't any different from other Angels.

4. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

60 gallon tank... I only had 4 Angelfish, BUT now I picked up 2 more Blue Cobalt Angels, I will take a picture and add it when I get home in a few hours...around 7-7:30 EST.

5. C

Honestly, I think that many Angels is just asking for trouble. Is your tank heavily planted?

When you get a breeding pair, they will become aggressive, potentially harming your other fish.

6. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

I will be getting quite a bit more plants and decor for my environment BUT here are some pictures, sadly every time I take a pic of my Zebra Koi, it likes to make its stripes disappear stress/aggression

1.) 1 Zebra Koi is about 5 inches I think...

2.) 4 Blue Cobalt's about the size of a 50 cent piece US

3.) 1 Fancy Tail is about the size of a nickle.

IMG_20121223_224905.jpg IMG_20121223_225007.jpg IMG_20121223_225026.jpg IMG_20121223_225227.jpg IMG_20121223_225234.jpg IMG_20121223_225258.jpg

7. C

You'll definitely need some more decor. Driftwood and live plants would be much appreciated. As your youngsters grow up, they may find mates and need a territory to defend. My Big male can certainly be aggressive.

Here's a picture of my male displaying his awesomeness :)

8. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

Beautiful, How big is he and how can/could you tell its a male?

Would this be considered a Gold?

9. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Very good advice above.

All angels on the market, at least those purchased from LFS and not breeders or importers, will be p. scalare. It does not matter if they are white, yellow, blue, green, orange, red or any other color morph currently on the market. Their temperament is based on their environment. Overcrowding and stress are the primary factors to heightened aggression.

I have kept and bred angels for decades. And, with one exception, changing the environment and removing the added stressors will reduce the aggression. Oh, my one exception, well he is in isolation. I tried him in every tank I have and in less than 10 minutes he'd pick a fight with another angel. This guy is great being the only angel or being housed with a lady friend. Otherwise, his horns come out.

Also, please do not purchase any more angels; or any more fish at this time. I saw in another thread that your tank is not yet cycled. These fish are not good for beginners because they do not tolerate nitrogen waste buildup. This type of environment is enough to cause the stress that leads to aggression.

10. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

I do not plan on buying anymore angels at all, I didn't plan on buying the last two until I read about the specifics from breeders of a higharchy with blue cobalts and actually seeing the change first hand.

I just wanted 4 fish in which now turned to 6.

But when will I know that my tank has cycled? Honestly as you can see by these photos from my other post it's clearing up...

And I would like to thank you all for your experience, knowledge, and replies :)

11. C

Yes, he's a gold. If you look at the full sized picture, you can see his breeding tube. Bottom center part of him, there's a little pin like appendage poking out. Males are longer and thinner, females are rounder.

You can tell your tank is cycled by testing the water. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate will show that it is cycled.

12. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

How do you feel about the Mardel pH - NH3 intank monitor?

13. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

14. c

Those indicators do not work in a low pH environment. I tried and they failed miserably. The ammonia said all was well when it wasn't. I lost fish trusting that monitor. Never again for me!

15. oysterstu

oysterstu New Member Member

I found those in tank monitors would take huge amounts of ammonia for it to even start to change color. often meaning it was way worse then assumed.

It does appear to be a good idea though. Just not for sensitive fish.

16. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

well....after everything it turns out that the one Blue Cobalt is just WWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY over aggressive..... it started attacking every fish even killed another one. fish store wont even trade me back for a different one so now he is in a tank all by itself

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  17. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would highly recommend using the API (liquid) Master Test Kit:

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle <---link

I do use the Ammonia Alert by SeaChem in all of my tanks as a back up to my API Master Test Kit. I would not trust using only the monitors as they can be inaccurate as others have mentioned.

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

18. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

well after a few days in isolation I tried putting my Blue Cobalt named Rocky back in general population,so far it seems he is much calmer...I am keeping an eye since it hasnt even been one day yet...

19. c

Glad things are better now. Also, add extra hiding places to break up the line of sight.

20. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice