Blue Carbon Rili (neocaridina Davidi)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ShawnFish, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ShawnFish

ShawnFish Valued Member Member

I may be getting a 2 gallon aquarium soon and wanted to do shrimp. I already have algae wafers from the plecos i use to have and algae pellets from the malawians. I also have java moss from the cory tank. I wanted to do a blue carbon rili tank, so
    A) Can i feed them the wafers
    B) How many could i have
    C) How long does the tank have to cycle, I've heard a shrimp tank has to cycle longer than other tanks for the aufwach.
    Sorry for the long post, trying to get this tank right.

2. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

What is aufwach?

3. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Shrimp feed on biofilm and that's why they generally need an old, or mature, tank so that it can basically build up all the gunk.
    Shrimp will eat algae wafers and pretty much anything that sinks but you can also grow algea in your tank through fertilizers or extra lighting.
    I think the rule of thumb is ten shrimp per gallon. You can really pack these guys in since their bioload is so small. They'll eventually breed or die to maintain the capacity of the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    ShawnFish

Aufwach is the gunk on leaves, the algae and such. Insuforia is the microrganism population in the water.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How are you cycling the tank? With ammonia?

6. OP
    OP
    ShawnFish

With water and gravel from a mature, year old tank and feeding the tank.

7. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a filter? Barely any bacteria actually lives in the gravel, and next to none in the water. A filter is very important. Not only for biological filtration, but also for water flow.

8. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

For a shrimp tank, you should use a sponge filter or a HOB with a sponge over the intake

9. OP
    OP
    ShawnFish

Yes, i have a filter. I will also use cycle stuff, the pouch of bacteria.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice