Blue Angel Turning Yellow

mossman

Well Known
I have a juvenile blue marble Angel (about 2") and he has been turning yellow towards the upper half of his body. Is this normal coloration?

Attachments

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Do you have any pics from when you first got it? The color is not abnormal for a regular smokey. But it is abnormal for a blue smokey. I'd like to see it before it turned yellow. I'm not thinking that's a blue smokey. Its definitely not marble though. :) it's a smokey.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
Here's a pic from when I first got it. It has never been particularly blue. More white and black with a hint of light blue. I want to say he has always had some yellow. Sorry, not a marble. Couldn't think of the correct species.

Attachments

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
mossman said:
Here's a pic from when I first got it. It has never been particularly blue. More white and black with a hint of light blue. I want to say he has always had some yellow. Sorry, not a marble. Couldn't think of the correct species.
Hmmmm....well...it does look more like a blue smokey in this pic. I've never seen one go from grayish blue to yellow though....that is a little bit unusual to me.

My regular smokies did not start out grey/blue like that. And my blue smokies have never turned yellow...

The only thing I can think of is maybe stress? Have you tested your water recently? Is there anyone picking on him?

I don't know. He could be fine, but I have personally never seen this scenario happen before.

And please, don't apologize for saying marble instead of smokey. I am the dork who is overly obsessed with angelfish genetics and IDing their phenotypes. I wasn't meaning for it to sound like I was being critical. Please don't take it that way.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
I don't think he's stressed, but I suppose it is possible. Other than the yellowing, his body and fins look to be in good condition. I haven't noticed him being picked on at all, other than the occasional peck from the slightly larger black angel in the tank. I should mention that I've been having issues with small (1" or so) Corydora AdolfoI and Lasers dying off one by one over the past several weeks for no apparent reason. I do large water changes every week (50%) and all the levels are good (0 / 0 / 15 / 5 / 5 / 7.6 / 80) so the water is good. Still trying to determine if I have a parasite hopping around from fish to fish, but the Corydora are the only ones with an issue. All other tank inhabitants (6 Geophagus and a black Angel) are doing well.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
I am sorry you are struggling with the cories. I had a lot of trouble with AdolfoI cories as well. (they may have been duplicareus, but still)

Anyway a blue smokey should not turn yellow like that. But I agree that overall, he looks fine. Hopefully everything will be ok.

New Threads