Blue Angel Turning Yellow

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by mossman, Aug 23, 2019.

1. mossman

mossmanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a juvenile blue marble Angel (about 2") and he has been turning yellow towards the upper half of his body. Is this normal coloration?

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,159
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Do you have any pics from when you first got it? The color is not abnormal for a regular smokey. But it is abnormal for a blue smokey. I'd like to see it before it turned yellow. I'm not thinking that's a blue smokey. Its definitely not marble though. :) it's a smokey.

3. OP
    OP
    mossman

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    2 years
    Here's a pic from when I first got it. It has never been particularly blue. More white and black with a hint of light blue. I want to say he has always had some yellow. Sorry, not a marble. Couldn't think of the correct species.

Attached Files:

4. bizaliz3

Ratings:
    +17,159
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hmmmm....well...it does look more like a blue smokey in this pic. I've never seen one go from grayish blue to yellow though....that is a little bit unusual to me.

My regular smokies did not start out grey/blue like that. And my blue smokies have never turned yellow...

The only thing I can think of is maybe stress? Have you tested your water recently? Is there anyone picking on him?

I don't know. He could be fine, but I have personally never seen this scenario happen before.

And please, don't apologize for saying marble instead of smokey. I am the dork who is overly obsessed with angelfish genetics and IDing their phenotypes. I wasn't meaning for it to sound like I was being critical. Please don't take it that way.

5. OP
    OP
    mossman

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    2 years
    I don't think he's stressed, but I suppose it is possible. Other than the yellowing, his body and fins look to be in good condition. I haven't noticed him being picked on at all, other than the occasional peck from the slightly larger black angel in the tank. I should mention that I've been having issues with small (1" or so) Corydora Adolfoi and Lasers dying off one by one over the past several weeks for no apparent reason. I do large water changes every week (50%) and all the levels are good (0 / 0 / 15 / 5 / 5 / 7.6 / 80) so the water is good. Still trying to determine if I have a parasite hopping around from fish to fish, but the Corydora are the only ones with an issue. All other tank inhabitants (6 Geophagus and a black Angel) are doing well.

6. bizaliz3

Ratings:
    +17,159
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I am sorry you are struggling with the cories. I had a lot of trouble with Adolfoi cories as well. (they may have been duplicareus, but still)

Anyway a blue smokey should not turn yellow like that. But I agree that overall, he looks fine. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Become a Fishlore Member