Blue Acara With Gouramis Stocking Question

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1 electric blue acara or a blue acara(depending on which you guys are advising) with 4 yoyo loaches, 2 pearl gouramis and 1 opaline gourami or 2 opaline gouramis and 1 pearl gourami(depending all which option is a better choice). All the gouramis will be female. The tank is a 28g.
Now is the stocking ok?
Will the acara attack or harass the gouramis or the loaches?
Will the opaline and the pearl gouramis go well together?
The tank has otherf fishes too like a school of rosy barbs, some tetras, some cories and some rainbow fish. But they all are compatible with the fishes I mentioned above. I researched it and they are all fine with the 3 fish species I am willing to add.
I only had doubts whether the 3 new fish types would be compatible or not (did not find anything concrete on the internet).

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think having all of these will be a bit too crowded. I'd stick with either the gouramis or the acara.

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A 28g tank is too small for a single Pearl Gourami in my opinion.

It's also too small for a EBA.

I'd suggest both these fish require at least a 40 breeder.

I have a Pearl Gourami and an EBA in my current 50 gallon. They get on pretty well with just some very minor aggression.

I've had real problems trying to keep multiple Pearl Gourami in the same tank (Opaline are even more aggressive), although I know others have done it.

yinoma2001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 1 dwarf blue powder gourami and 1 pearl gourami and they sometimes will have a quick confrontation but then go their separate ways. That's a 40 gallon Breeder.

Unfortunately a 28G will not be enough room for them all.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nick72 said:
A 28g tank is too small for a single Pearl Gourami in my opinion.

It's also too small for a EBA.

I'd suggest both these fish require at least a 40 breeder.

I have a Pearl Gourami and an EBA in my current 50 gallon. They get on pretty well with just some very minor aggression.

I've had real problems trying to keep multiple Pearl Gourami in the same tank (Opaline are even more aggressive), although I know others have done it.
All the various websites I have gone through, they all say that tank requirement for a single blue acara is 30 gallon. And same goes for a pearl gourami. Most of the websites say the minimum tank requirement is 30 gallon. Even the pearl gourami profile on fishlore days 29 gallon minimum tank size.
So do really 1 or 2 g would matter that much?
If you say that keeping both of them together in a tank, then it would have been clear for me to understand but as you are saying any single of them would be too much for a 28g tank, so do 1 or 2 gallon really matter that much since all the websites say its ok to keep a single of them in a 30 gallon tank.
Kindly clear my doubts. I don't understand why you are saying so.

Donovan Jones said:
I think having all of these will be a bit too crowded. I'd stick with either the gouramis or the acara.
yinoma2001 said:
I have 1 dwarf blue powder gourami and 1 pearl gourami and they sometimes will have a quick confrontation but then go their separate ways. That's a 40 gallon Breeder.

Unfortunately a 28G will not be enough room for them all.
Yeah, as both of you guys are saying I understand that there won't be enough rule for all of the fishes I mentioned in a 28 g tank.
But will it work if I rule out some of fishes and add the rest.
I am looking for 2 options now, kindly tell me if both of these will work in the 28g tank

1. 1 blue acara and 1 female pearl opaline or opaline gourami(whichever would be a better choice)
2. No acara, 2 female opaline gourami and 1 female pearl gourami.

Now will both of these options work?

I have some other queries too realting this. Anybody can help. Any help is appreciated.

1. Are female opaline gourami and female pearl gourami compatible with each other and can be kept in the same tank without much aggression?
2. If 2 opaline gouramis are kept with a single pearl gourami, will the opaline gouramis team up and harrass the pearl gourami?
3. Can 2 female opaline gouramis be kept peacefully without much aggression in tank of 28g?
4. If my tank size was bigger like 45-50 gallon( since I am thinking of buying another tank within a few months), in a tank like that size is a blue acara compatible pearl gourami and opaline gourami? Or will there be any aggression between them?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your biggest issue is mixing Gourami even females. Opaline can be very aggressive, mine took a fair bit to work with my Acara he even killed one and with other gourami no chance, this was in a 52 gallon.
Pearls are often kept in trios, i've currently got a pair with an EBA in a 60, there's some aggression between them but enough space to stay apart when they need.

I recommend getting a bigger tank, minimum 40 to keep these fish together and I would go for a Pearl and Acara mix leave the Opaline out. If you get a 55 plus i'd go for a trio of Pearls, a EBA and dither fish of some kind.

1. It's unlikely.
2. It's more likely there'll be a dominant Opaline that will attack the others
3. Unlikely in a small tank, people seem to have more success with 5 or 6 Opaline's but in a much bigger tank, this spreads the aggression but isn't guaranteed.
4. I would not mix these gourami but a bigger tank would be better all round.
Hope this helps.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Your biggest issue is mixing Gourami even females. Opaline can be very aggressive, mine took a fair bit to work with my Acara he even killed one and with other gourami no chance, this was in a 52 gallon.
Pearls are often kept in trios, i've currently got a pair with an EBA in a 60, there's some aggression between them but enough space to stay apart when they need.

I recommend getting a bigger tank, minimum 40 to keep these fish together and I would go for a Pearl and Acara mix leave the Opaline out. If you get a 55 plus i'd go for a trio of Pearls, a EBA and dither fish of some kind.

1. It's unlikely.
2. It's more likely there'll be a dominant Opaline that will attack the others
3. Unlikely in a small tank, people seem to have more success with 5 or 6 Opaline's but in a much bigger tank, this spreads the aggression but isn't guaranteed.
4. I would not mix these gourami but a bigger tank would be better all round.
Hope this helps.
So what I understood from your post, you are saying it's too risky to mix the gourami species.
A bigger tank is not an option now. Now in this tank size it is not possible to add a trio of pearl gouramis with a blue acara in my tank.
So can I add 1 blue acara and a single female gourami in the tank?
If yes, then which gourami species will go best with a blue acara in a 28g tank - a female opaline gourami or a female pearl gourami?

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rick bose said:
All the various websites I have gone through, they all say that tank requirement for a single blue acara is 30 gallon. And same goes for a pearl gourami. Most of the websites say the minimum tank requirement is 30 gallon. Even the pearl gourami profile on fishlore days 29 gallon minimum tank size.
So do really 1 or 2 g would matter that much?
If you say that keeping both of them together in a tank, then it would have been clear for me to understand but as you are saying any single of them would be too much for a 28g tank, so do 1 or 2 gallon really matter that much since all the websites say its ok to keep a single of them in a 30 gallon tank.
Kindly clear my doubts. I don't understand why you are saying so.
It's just my opinion that 28g is too small to keep a Pearl in happily, and certainly to small to keep an EBA in.

But it's just my opinion.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless the Gourami are an actual known pair, you will have aggression issues...so either single male or a known male/female pair. If you mix the Gourami types along with Acara in small mixed sex numbers you will find that one of the fish - usually a male - will get seriously territorial and aggressive with the rest of the fish and become the aquarium bully. A bully in the aquarium will stress out everyone else and no matter how much sight-line plant barriers you have, you will end up with some very distressed fish from being chased and rammed by the bully fish.

The aquarium size is too small for Yoyo's and also the Gourami/Acara mix/number that you are considering...which will inevitably make the aggressive bully problem even worse

One Gourami male or a male/female known Gourami pair or one Acara as centerpiece....with suitably sized number of aquarium buddies in that size aquarium should be OK as long as you plant sufficient sight-line barriers throughout the aquarium to give everyone space to rest in peace....but certainly not the mix/numbers you were considering as you will end up with an awful lot of bullied and distressed fish and probably dead fish too

yinoma2001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only ones I have multiples of are honey gouramis, which are known to be docile. I have 4 and they do not bother anything. But they're also only 2 inches top compared to some of the others that get 5-6 inches and are much more territorial.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rick bose said:
So what I understood from your post, you are saying it's too risky to mix the gourami species.
A bigger tank is not an option now. Now in this tank size it is not possible to add a trio of pearl gouramis with a blue acara in my tank.
So can I add 1 blue acara and a single female gourami in the tank?
If yes, then which gourami species will go best with a blue acara in a 28g tank - a female opaline gourami or a female pearl gourami?
Blue Acara grow to 5 or 6 inches and Pearls similar, 28 gallons just won't do in the long run. I'd wait until you get a bigger tank. There's plenty of other fish that could go in a 28. If you really want a Gourami Honey or Dwarf would work well in a tank that size. Only keep 1 Dwarf if you do, they can be very aggressive to each other. Honeys can be kept in groups anywhere from 3 up. 4 or 5 would be fine in a 28.

yinoma2001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Blue Acara grow to 5 or 6 inches and Pearls similar, 28 gallons just won't do in the long run. I'd wait until you get a bigger tank. There's plenty of other fish that could go in a 28. If you really want a Gourami Honey or Dwarf would work well in a tank that size. Only keep 1 Dwarf if you do, they can be very aggressive to each other. Honeys can be kept in groups anywhere from 3 up. 4 or 5 would be fine in a 28.
I did make the mistake of getting a blue power DG AND a pearl gourami. But they seemed to have marked their respective territories and rarely fight. Every once in a while they'll chase each other off. I wouldn't do it again.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seeing the comments, I have decided to rule out the blue acara completely.
Can a firemouth cichlid be added in the tank?
It is though debatable, but what I studied on the internet tells me that firemouth is a docile cichlid unlike the other cichlids and that can be added in a community tank. And just for a single fish my tank size is enough. They only shows aggression during spawning time. But since I am only getting a single one, not a pair so that won't cause any problem.
So what do you say guys?
A firemouth chichlid is okay in the tank and do well with with all the other fishes without showing much aggression?
Also can I add a gourami with it too?
If yes, which gourami is best to keep with it and the other fishes that I have between these two - an female opaline or a female pearl?
Honey gouramis can't be find here where I live and I have tried keeping dwarf gourami twice in the past with only failures. They died. I think because of improper and poor breeding quality the dwarf gouramis here are of weak immune power and are not of proper optimal health and hence requires immense care and are very sensitive. So won't keeping a dwarf gourami again.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Though I have ruled out the blue acara but just out of curiosity I want to know this.
You wrote that a blue acara and a honey gourami can't be kept in a tank that small.
But is it possible to keep a blue acara and female opaline gourami together in that tank size, i.e.,28g.
Also if my tank was bigger say 45-50 gallon then could I have kept a blue acara and pearl gourami together in the tank?
Please answer these 2 queries.
And as I have wrote honey gouramis can't be found here in any shop and dwarfs here are not of optimal health and have very low immune power.
Answer those 2 questions for future use as I am planning to buy a new bigger tank in 6 months.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rick bose said:
Though I have ruled out the blue acara but just out of curiosity I want to know this.
You wrote that a blue acara and a honey gourami can't be kept in a tank that small.
But is it possible to keep a blue acara and female opaline gourami together in that tank size, i.e.,28g.
Also if my tank was bigger say 45-50 gallon then could I have kept a blue acara and pearl gourami together in the tank?
Please answer these 2 queries.
And as I have wrote honey gouramis can't be found here in any shop and dwarfs here are not of optimal health and have very low immune power.
Answer those 2 questions for future use as I am planning to buy a new bigger tank in 6 months.
Sorry I wasn't clear.

28 is too small for a Blue Acara with any gourami.
Firemouths are a similar size and won't work either.

You could keep an Acara or a Firemouth with any Gourami we've talked about in a 45-50.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Sorry I wasn't clear.

28 is too small for a Blue Acara with any gourami.
Firemouths are a similar size and won't work either.

You could keep an Acara or a Firemouth with any Gourami we've talked about in a 45-50.
Is not the minimum tank volume requirement for an opaline gourami is 20 g only?
And this site says that the tank requirement for a pair of firemouth is 30 gallon.
I have searched other fish websites, most of this say the same thing - the tank requirement for is given for a pair.
But some websites also say that the minimum tank requirement for a single firemouth is 15 gallon only.
My tank is 28g much bigger than both of the minimum tank requirement of the 2 fish.
So then also why can't I keep those 2 fishes in my 28g tank whose tank requirement is just 20 gallon and 15 gallon respectively?
Kindly explain the reason as to me I am not able to get the reason.
I am not arguing, I just want to know the reason as I am not being able to understand it.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
These fish all get around 6 inches, it doesn't sound big but when you see a 6 inch fish in a 28 gallon you'd understand.
The sites your looking at are likely stating the minimum for juvenile fish, as they grow they will need more space.

I understand why you want these fish but trust me when I say you won't regret waiting and getting a bigger tank. It will look better, your fish will be happier and you'll enjoy it more.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads