180 Gallon Tank Blue Acara, GT, now what to add...

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am after ideas on what to put with my GT (7inches) and Blue Acara (5.5inches) in my new 180G. I would like to eventually have my two Bala Sharks in this tank but not entirely sure if this will work. They are currently housed in my 85G and are only about 4-5inches so the time to upgrade them will be some years away still I think.

So I was thinking of possibly a couple of convicts? I know they are much smaller but I've heard they can stick up for themselves quite well. I also really like JD's but I don't think I could get a juvi with the size of my current cichlids?

Anyway I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. I've got plenty of time as I'm in no hurry to add anything. Still be 4 weeks off at least.

Attachments

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank looks wonderful Jeff

I'll let others give you stocking tips.

Have a good weekend!

Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your tank looks fabulous!

With 180g, there's definitely room for territories. I would think you could add an oscar or a pair of JD's, but hang on for some other responses. Cichlids can be so tricky and I don't want to give you wrong information.

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O,s and/or Some JD's Would be Just perfect they would set off that awsome looking tank of urs just bueatifully

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, the green terror would worry me.
I would say a couple of severums or Uarus but I think the GT could be too agressive for them.
A JD might work if you could get 1 at about 3-4"+

Maybe a group of pictus cats? I think 5-6 would be excellent

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscars, Jack Dempseys, Salvini, Midas, Texas, Cuban or Zebra cichlids would all work. I don't think Balas would do so well with the fish you have though yours definitely need a larger tank now. Pictus, Plecos & Featherfin catfish would all do ok. I would give Severums a miss.

My concern is actually your decor. Is all of that stuff siliconed together? Because I see lots of stuff there that a large fish like a Green Terror will knock down & push around pretty easily. Just don't want you to end up with a busted tank. I would say rearranging & adding decor so that there are 3 clear territories each one with a large cave is going to be needed before you add more cichlids. At the moment 3 large fish would all fight over the large cave on the right side of the tank.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank looks fabulous!

With 180g, there's definitely room for territories. I would think you could add an oscar or a pair of JD's, but hang on for some other responses. Cichlids can be so tricky and I don't want to give you wrong information.
O,s and/or Some JD's Would be Just perfect they would set off that awsome looking tank of urs just bueatifully
Hmm, the green terror would worry me.
I would say a couple of severums or Uarus but I think the GT could be too agressive for them.
A JD might work if you could get 1 at about 3-4"+

Maybe a group of pictus cats? I think 5-6 would be excellent
Thanks everyone. I'm very pleased you've all suggested JD's because I was really keen to get one of those. I'm not al that keen on Oscars but I have seen a few that have appealed to me so maybe an oscar. As for pictus cats well I would like something that keeps the bottom clean so I'll look into them.

Oscars, Jack Dempseys, Salvini, Midas, Texas, Cuban or Zebra cichlids would all work. I don't think Balas would do so well with the fish you have though yours definitely need a larger tank now. Pictus, Plecos & Featherfin catfish would all do ok. I would give Severums a miss.

My concern is actually your decor. Is all of that stuff siliconed together? Because I see lots of stuff there that a large fish like a Green Terror will knock down & push around pretty easily. Just don't want you to end up with a busted tank. I would say rearranging & adding decor so that there are 3 clear territories each one with a large cave is going to be needed before you add more cichlids. At the moment 3 large fish would all fight over the large cave on the right side of the tank.
Thanks Nutter. When you say you think my bala's need a larger tank now why is that? They look tiny in my 85G and appear to be doing really well

The decor is not siliconed but it's only the rocks that I'd be worried about and they are pretty heavy. I may have to pull the construction down if you think big fish will try and push it down. My GT and BA just like swimming through all the gaps in the rocks. I've never seen them try and dismantle the rocks in any way and it was set up similar in my old 50G.

I will certainly place a third cave type structure down the other end too if you believe that is required. Thanks for your suggestions

Nobody has said anything about convicts. Is that because they think they are a bad idea? I was keen on some cons. Also what about Jewel cichlids? I know they are African but I've read of people putting them with SA Cichlids.

Last edited:

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nobody has said anything about convicts. Is that because they think they are a bad idea? I was keen on some cons. Also what about Jewel cichlids? I know they are African but I've read of people putting them with SA Cichlids.
So any thoughts people?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cons would probably be ok with the Terror but not sure how they would go with the Acara. The Jewels would probably be ok with both so long as there's no breeding. The Jewels get mega aggressive when they breed.

IME Balas are very active & will take up all the room you can provide. They would appreciate the extra swimming room in 180gal.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cons would probably be ok with the Terror but not sure how they would go with the Acara. The Jewels would probably be ok with both so long as there's no breeding. The Jewels get mega aggressive when they breed.

IME Balas are very active & will take up all the room you can provide. They would appreciate the extra swimming room in 180gal.
Thanks once again Nutter. So you're worreid about the safety of my Acara with the cons. Wow they must be tough little buggers. And I'd only get a single Jewel if I were to get one so breeding wouldn't be a problem there.

As for the Bala's I was planning on getting them to a size where they would be as big as my GT and then put them in the 180G. My 85G is still 5 foot long so they do have a fair amount of swimming space in there. Well I'll just wait and see...I may have to rehome them but for now they seem very happy where they are.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok so I've had a while to think about it and this is where I'm at so far:

1 Green Terror (Currently in already)
1 Blue Acara (Also already in)
2 Convicts
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Red Jewel Cichlid

5 Pictus Cats?? (Platy ben made this suggestion and I think they look pretty cool. I'm not sure if they're compatible though?)

I'm going to take Nutters advice and add more caves at the other end of the tank so there are more territories too.

So how does this sound?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Jeff, I think a Blue Acara might struggle in that tank, they're not the toughest of Cichlids and the JD, Terror, Cons and Jewel are all pretty mean. It might be worth having a back up plan just in case he can't cut it.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Jeff, I think a Blue Acara might struggle in that tank, they're not the toughest of Cichlids and the JD, Terror, Cons and Jewel are all pretty mean. It might be worth having a back up plan just in case he can't cut it.
Yeah thanks Nick. I do have concerns about the Blue Acara after a few people have mentioned their non-aggressiveness. He would be the 2nd biggest fish in the tank before the others grow cause he's already 5-6 inchs and does fine with my 7 inch GT.

What about as a back up of moving the Blue Acara in my 85G? I feel he might be too aggresive for my Angels, Blue Gouramis, and Lemon Tetras though.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept Blue Acaras with Angels before, but not with Tetras. He might work out fine in the 180gal though as it is a big tank, and there should be plenty of room for territories. Mine was in a 90 gal with an Oscar and JD, neither of whom bothered him, but also with 3 Jewels and a pair of Cons and he couldn't cut it, the Jewels and Cons beat him up pretty bad, so he went to live in a 40gal with Angels,Kribs and BN Plecs, and was fine there.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah thanks again Nick. I'm pretty sure a Blue Acara can not be kept with any tetra's. Hopefully he'll be alright. He is always chillin with my GT so hopefully the GT will look out for him.

So anyone else got opinions on my stocking list? Haven't heard a second opinion yet on Pictus cats yet?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pictus should be fine with the fish on your list. Excellent advice from Nick regarding the Blue Acara. It might be ok if your clever about decor layout but keep an eye on it. Green Terrors often don't get really aggressive until they are 8-10". The Acara woud probably pick off your Lemon Tetras if you have to move it to your 85gal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom