Blue Acara fry

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Smack, Mar 21, 2010.

1. S

Smack New Member Member

They are one week old and free swimming. Here are some general questions that I'd love suggestions on;

1. They are in a 55 gallon with parents. My thoughts are to move them into a 2.5 gallon with 2 guppies (or I move the guppies to another 55 gallon w/6 Giant Danios and 18 neon tetras) if the guppies will not eat them.

2. Allow the fry to remain w/parents

~~~~

1. Will the guppies eat the fry?
    2. If moved, will the Danios eat the guppies? Since I have neon's (18) I'm hopeful they won't but guppies prefer to swim up top unlike the neon's the prefer the lower to mid areas of the tank.

Thoughts?

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I would put them by themselves in a small tank with a sponge filter till they are about an inch or so.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'd buy a secondhand 10gal tank & follow Riv's suggestion of keeping the fry by themselves until they are about 1". All fish eat fry, even Neons. I don't know how the Guppies or Neons would go with the Giant Danios. My gut says the Neons would probably be ok but I don't think the Guppies would fare so well. If you can't get the fry a tank of thier own immediately, you can leave them with the parents for about 1month if there's nothing else in the tank. You will have a higher mortality rate though.

4. OP
    OP
    S

Smack New Member Member

Thanks to you both. I bought a breeder and removed some of the fry. My plan is to regulate the smaller 2.5 gallon to better conditions (ph, no2 and 3) and move them there once I'm sure they've gotten bigger and have begun to look for food with more independence.

I'm going to see which if the two methods give me a better success rate.

Please keep your ideas coming and I'll post an update.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice