Blue Acara Dropsy Help

1. James95 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone,
    For the past few days I noticed that my blue acara cichlid was a little larger than usual in the belly area.

Today I came home to a fish with blood streaks, red lips, and distended abdominal scales. I think he's dropsying :-[

My parameters are in check and all my other fish are acting perfectly normal. What actions should I take? Should I move him to quarantine? Treat all the fish with an antibiotic as a preventative?

At this point I don't expect him to live much longer. I'm very concerned for my other fish, though. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. James95 Well Known Member Member

Update:
    I moved him to a 2.5g quarantine tank. I added some cycled gravel and a heater. I also dosed the tank with one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon.

I can't go out to buy meds until tomorrow evening. Unfortunately I have the distinct feeling that he isn't going to make it :helpsmilie:

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry he's not doing well.
    From what I understand, dropsy would be more uniform rather than just the abdomen.

Maybe a pic would help the members help ID what's wrong.

4. James95 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for your reply, Lucy.
    From what I've been reading, it tends to start at the abdomen and as eventually affects the whole fish. Apparently the distended scales are due to the kidneys and liver being shut down from the bacterial infection.
    I tried getting a pic but it doesn't show up very well. I'll try again.

Sigh.

5. James95 Well Known Member Member

Today he's almost completely pine coned and refuses to eat. For now I'm just trying to keep him as comfortable as I can.

6. James95 Well Known Member Member

He refused food yesterday evening, this morning, and tonight. His pine coning got so bad that he has sacs of fluid bulging from under his distended scales. I decided to humanely help him along this evening

Poor thing, I cherished you while I had you. I know that you're more comfortable now that you ever could of been in my care.

7. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Sorry to read this, James. He was comfortable in your care, even at the end. You're a good-hearted fish parent.

8. James95 Well Known Member Member

Thanks Donnerjay, I really do appreciate your condolences.
    I guess sometimes things (and even fish) come into our lives for only a short time but still leave an imprint.
    I will try to remember him the way he was before he fell ill.