Blue Acara and Barbs 55 Gallon Tank

1. crazedACD Member Member

Recently set up this 55g...added a pair of Blue Acara and a pair of Firemouths about two weeks ago. All is going well, but there is very little "action" in the tank..of course both species are small right now, but they hide quite a bit and always hide when I approach the tank. I'm considering removing the Firemouths and adding a school of some sort of Barb, to use partially as a dither fish and just to create some movement in the tank. The largest Firemouth started picking on my BN pleco, so the pleco was removed to my 10g, but the Acaras are a little smaller than the Firemouths and he's turned his attentions on them now (not horribly but chasing them here and there). Would the barbs be a good idea? I was thinking either Green Tiger Barbs (5 or 6 of them) or some Odessa barbs (not sure if they are too small for this purpose). What do you think?

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

tiger brabs are good as they are fast i know there not a barb but zebera danio are good what i would also suggest is going on youtube and try finding vidos of all these fish together so for eg blue acacr with tiger barb

3. crazedACD Member Member

Zebra Danios are nice but I'm afraid they will get slurped up as the Acaras get larger. I considered Giant Danios but I think I'd prefer something with a little more color.

I checked on aqadvisor, seems if I take out the firemouths I could have a school of tiger barbs AND odessa barbs (5 each), but I will have to think about that a little bit...hmm, so much to think about.