Blotches on Hippo Tang

cinnibaby87

I have a 75 gallon bowfront saltwater tank. It's been set up over a year and a half now and I have a small 3 inch hippo tang.

The tang has dark blotches on it. It started around the face, now it covers almost the entire head and is spreading out over the body. It's not black spot disease, it doesn't fit. They simply are blotches that appear as tho the tang is literally becoming see-through. You can just about see the bones on his face. it's a little gross.

Anyway, the tank is all within parameters, 8.3 pH, 82 degrees, no nitrates, nitrites, phosphates or ammonia, and hardness is where it should be.

He's housed with a clown fish, two damsels, an algae blenny and a mandarin goby. No coral, but two anemones.

He eats voraciously, brine shrimp, muscle, flakes, and a lots of greens. He's all over the tank and is very active. This started months ago but now I'm worried since it's spreading so far.

I've been looking online but i've seen nothing about it. please help

A Sneaky Fatman

Not any help with a diagnoses on this but i'm sure the first thing people will need is a picture.

Best of luck with it.

ATP

yes. a picture would help.

cinnibaby87

You can see the dark blotches on his face and a few spots on his body

ATP

honestly, I don't know what that is, but when you purchased it, was it like that or was it in good condition?

cinnibaby87

He was fine, nothing on him. I noticed the fish store had a hippo tang in a permanent tank (not for sale) that had this to a much lesser degree. I suppose they may know what it is.

locoyo386

cinnibaby87 said:
He was fine, nothing on him. I noticed the fish store had a hippo tang in a permanent tank (not for sale) that had this to a much lesser degree. I suppose they may know what it is.
Do you notice any swelling around the black areas?

If not, does the fis appear as if short-breathed or rubs againts rocks or rnaments around the dark areas?
Does the dark areas look like a powdery sustance that coats the skin?

nemo addict

Does your hippo tang still have the marks ??? it shouldnt do by now . as to me it looks like stress and should of calmed down by now,, this is common in tangs when first introduced , regal(hippo) and naso s get black marks , yellows get red marks, and browns get white marks,, my purple goes completely black when he is stressed ( apart from tail)

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom