Blooms! BLOOMS everywhere! Help!

Poppin22

Hello all again! So my tank 10 gallon artificial plants experienced a bacterial bloom after fishless cycling and testing in parameters.
The bloom occurred Saturday night/Sunday after adding fish/food.

Tank was initially very cloudy now it is clearing up after replacing 45_50% water, adding a carbon filter (were as before just Gen blue filter), adding double dose (10ml) of stress coat plus and stress zyme plus along with Dr Tim's Ammonium chloride.
Testing just now
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7
KH 80
GH 60

My question is do I add more stress coat...or something else? Or do I let it continue until bloom disappears?

ChrissFishes01

I honestly wouldn't have added anything - you didn't need to. Bacterial blooms are just bacteria that live in the water column instead of on surfaces in your tank, like most of the bacteria that we talk about. In most cases, it just happens whenever there's an influx of nutrients (like in a cycling tank, when you're adding ammonia/fish food) that there's not already a large enough bacterial colony to handle. They'll usually go away on their own pretty quickly, and are almost never harmful unless you don't have proper aeration in the tank for fish and other animals. As far as I know, carbon filters won't pick bacteria up, and stress coat is just a dechlorinator that's supposed to also stimulate a fish's slime coat - nothing to do with a bacterial bloom. The ammonia you added could just be feeding the bloom - which is fine, since you need to keep your cycle going, but it won't make it clear faster.

mattgirl

I didn't see an ammonia test result. I suspect you are using test strips since they don't test the ammonia level. We need to know more about this tank before we can help figure out what is going on in it. Since you are seeing 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates either the test strips are not accurate or this tank isn't cycled.

Do you have fish in this tank now? How long ago did you set this tank up? If you have fish in it how long have they been in there? What kind of fish and how many?

Poppin22

I didn't see an ammonia test result. I suspect you are using test strips since they don't test the ammonia level. We need to know more about this tank before we can help figure out what is going on in it. Since you are seeing 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates either the test strips are not accurate or this tank isn't cycled.

Do you have fish in this tank now? How long ago did you set this tank up? If you have fish in it how long have they been in there? What kind of fish and how many?
You're correct, I don't have ammonia level on these strips. I'll have to get tests for ammonia level. Currently no fish. They died with the bloom. I'm going to have betta fish in it. I may have been confused about the process.
I honestly wouldn't have added anything - you didn't need to. Bacterial blooms are just bacteria that live in the water column instead of on surfaces in your tank, like most of the bacteria that we talk about. In most cases, it just happens whenever there's an influx of nutrients (like in a cycling tank, when you're adding ammonia/fish food) that there's not already a large enough bacterial colony to handle. They'll usually go away on their own pretty quickly, and are almost never harmful unless you don't have proper aeration in the tank for fish and other animals. As far as I know, carbon filters won't pick bacteria up, and stress coat is just a dechlorinator that's supposed to also stimulate a fish's slime coat - nothing to do with a bacterial bloom. The ammonia you added could just be feeding the bloom - which is fine, since you need to keep your cycle going, but it won't make it clear faster.
Ok...that's good news. My gut was telling me to let it alone..but the more I searched for a direct answer the more I was confused or thought I was confused.
Note to self: sit down and have patience!

mattgirl

You're correct, I don't have ammonia level on these strips. I'll have to get tests for ammonia level. Currently no fish. They died with the bloom. I'm going to have betta fish in it. I may have been confused about the process.
I both use and highly recommend using an API Master Test Kit. It contains test for the main things we need to keep an eye on. (pH, both high an normal, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates) Without being able to test we can't know where we are in the cycling process.

Since there are no fish in this tank you will have to provide the ammonia. Without an ammonia source a tank will not cycle. It is the food that feeds the bacteria we need to grow. You can either use liquid ammonia such as Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride, fish food or even a piece of raw shrimp.

Since you are cycling this tank for a Betta it is actually easy to do a fish in cycle. As long as you have your test kit and keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels the tank will cycle and the fish will not be harmed. As long as you keep both ammonia and nitrites down to negligible levels by doing water changes your fish will not be harmed.
Ok...that's good news. My gut was telling me to let it alone..but the more I searched for a direct answer the more I was confused or thought I was confused.
Note to self: sit down and have patience!
Patience is one of the most important things to have plenty of while cycling a tank. No matter how we choose to cycle a tank it is going to take time.

Bwood22

....adding double dose (10ml) of stress coat plus and stress zyme....My question is do I add more stress coat...or something else? Or do I let it continue until bloom disappears?
Easy Tiger! None of that stuff is necessary right now. I know that sometimes we feel the need to throw a buch of stuff in the water to solve a "perceived problem" but in reality....there is no problem to solve. We just need to get the tank cycled and everything will fall into place.

Right now all you need to do is:
1. Add ammonia (mattgirl gave you a few good options). If you add the raw shrimp, tie it up in a peice of panty hose or fine filter sock. It will make it much easier to remove.

2. Test your water.(get that API liquid kit)

3. Change your water as necessary.

Anything beyond those 3 action items is not needed right now.

Poppin22

I both use and highly recommend using an API Master Test Kit. It contains test for the main things we need to keep an eye on. (pH, both high an normal, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates) Without being able to test we can't know where we are in the cycling process.

Since there are no fish in this tank you will have to provide the ammonia. Without an ammonia source a tank will not cycle. It is the food that feeds the bacteria we need to grow. You can either use liquid ammonia such as Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride, fish food or even a piece of raw shrimp.

Since you are cycling this tank for a Betta it is actually easy to do a fish in cycle. As long as you have your test kit and keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels the tank will cycle and the fish will not be harmed. As long as you keep both ammonia and nitrites down to negligible levels by doing water changes your fish will not be harmed.

Patience is one of the most important things to have plenty of while cycling a tank. No matter how we choose to cycle a tank it is going to take time.
Thank you! I'll go get an ammonia test kit today!
Easy Tiger! None of that stuff is necessary right now. I know that sometimes we feel the need to throw a buch of stuff in the water to solve a "perceived problem" but in reality....there is no problem to solve. We just need to get the tank cycled and everything will fall into place.

Right now all you need to do is:
1. Add ammonia (mattgirl gave you a few good options). If you add the raw shrimp, tie it up in a peice of panty hose or fine filter sock. It will make it much easier to remove.

2. Test your water.(get that API liquid kit)

3. Change your water as necessary.

Anything beyond those 3 action items is not needed right now.
Yes! I'm definitely a fix it type lol.. but yes I won't do anything but grab a test tonight! Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheBettaSushi
Replies
Views
Matthew Brown
Replies
Views
Nierums
Replies
Views