bloody parrots

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
just wonde/ring if those of you who keep bloddy parrots ......find that they are shy eaters? mine seem to come out if i am at a distance not when im close do they act shy normally?

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
how long have you had them? ive never kept a blood parrot, (i wish to one day) but i know most fish will take a couple weeks to get use to you, and in time, they will be very aggressive eaters

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
5 days never had a shy fish before bought a red top zebra same day for my other tanks well actually 2 of them and the male was chaseing the rest around in 10 mins after he was in there so to me a hideing fish is odd

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Our BP's took about a month to feel safe to come out around us.

They're still shy around anyone except myself and my daughter and we've had them for I think around 5 months now.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Gmen,

Yes, Bloody Parrots are very shy as juveniles and as BB above in post #5 stated, it may take 4 to 5 weeks for them to feel comfortable in their new surroundings. Even then, it will take longer for them to feel comfortable with others in the room.

As they mature they will over come their fears.

Ken

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nice good to know i wasnt sure what was going on with um im used to my beggers

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Gmen,

Everything sounds normal so try not to worry about them. I've had my 33g holding tank and the Bloody Parrot juveniles since June 10, 2010 and after 4 to 5 weeks they come out for feeding. Even now, after the feeding I have to walk into the room slowly, they may hide but I can coax them out . I wave to them when I sit in front of the tank .

When strangers go in the room, they hide. They'll all be fine in time.

Keep us posted please.

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually when I read your question!!! No disrespect meant at all, but I don't remember when my 3 parrots were shy. And now, the second they see me walk into the room, they zoom to the front of the tank and give me their poor, pitiful, "nobody loves me, please feed me or I'll certainly perish" look.

Now that I think back though, it did take me quite a while to earn their trust. So yeah, yours are behaving normally.

Aren't you worried about them eating the con fry though?

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
cool no not worried bout fry getting eaten they r hard enough to get rid of

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom