Bloody Mary or Cherry Shrimp

SotaAquatics

Hi All,

I have some shrimp - they were sold as bloody marys. They have been prolific breeders and I would like to start selling them, however I feel a little confused if they are true BMs and would like some help to confirm identification - I am not going to be someone who tries to sell misidentified shrimp. I have included 4 pictures - and will list my observations/questions below. These are my only shrimp so I have no prior experience in identifying.

Observations -
1 - Several of the females seem to be more opaque then having that "ruby glow" to them under the lights. I have cheap shop lights overhead - 10k lumen - whites, so that could impact the look. I can see saddles on 80%+ of females through shells as well as berries without trouble. 20% are very solid and I can not see saddles/berries through shells.
2 - Most males have pretty solid color and more of a "glow" to them, there are 2-3 males that look more transparent with a spotty shell - this is primarily why I have questions on them being BMs. Unfortunately the only picture I was able to get is with the big female - the blurry guy in the top left is the most transparent looking male.
3 - Some of the shrimp have one or more legs, or individual leg segments that are transparent with no color.
4 - All shrimplets are turning out to be red and seem to be coloring up nicely - however when I look at them, I do notice that it looks like they have red spots on the shells vs possibly red tissue?

Question 1 - Are these bloody marys, cherries, or a combination of both?
Question 2- If these are bloody marys, what do typical bloody mary culls look like? I will of course be removing those with any transparency to them like the male, but is that what a typical BM cull is? or are they usually just more chocolate/off color and culled that way.

Thanks all, I am sure I will have some more questions but lunch break is over so I need to submit this while I can!

Also, apologies for the slightly cloudy pictures... took them after dropping in some Bacter AE

Attachments

• BM1.png
    BM1.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • BM2.jpg
    BM2.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 45
  • BM3.png
    BM3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • BM4.png
    BM4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

AvaTheFish

Those look like bloody marys to me! I have cherries and they often have patterns on the body, even the darkest. These look solid from what I can tell from the pics. The main difference is cherries have a red shell, and bloodys have a clear shell, but blood red tissue. If the red moves with the shell, not the shrimps insides, I would be sceptical that they werent bloodys, but if it looks like the tissue is red, they are bloodys.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. They're nice-looking shrimp, and you shouldn't have any trouble selling them. I sell a few shrimp, and I don't claim any particular classification. I show pictures, or show the shrimp themselves, and haven't had anyone turn them down.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Thanks all for the input and welcome! They are great looking, very pleased with them. I just was worried some people may be unhappy if I sold them something that could be misidentified. Very good input JettsPapa, I will be sure to include some good pictures so buyers can judge for themselves as well!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views