Bloodworms

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm planning on feeding my fish frozen bloodworms. My betta didn't eat them before but he's tried a few new things and I'd like to offer them. How do I go about feeding him and the tetras bloodworms?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the come in a frozen sheet then break off a small portion and thaw in dechlorinated water the drain through a net. then feed a few at a time.
If they come frozen in cubes then cut off however many cubes you want to thaw and place in a dish with warm water. After thawing dump in a net and rinse with dechlorinated water. then feed a few at a time.
Since most fish fish will eat all of them you will feed them it's up to you to feed them a few and stop Because they are so high in protein some times feeding too many bloodworms will result in constipation. Have fun the tetras especially will go wild.
Ccarol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I feed my angels with frozen bloodworms only two times a week (sometimes only once a week); once or twice with frozen brine shrimp; and 2 - 3 kinds of flakes for the rest of the week.

The way I feed is this (an example):

Monday - bloodworms
Tuesday - 1 kind of flakes
Wednesday - another kind of flakes
Thursday - brine shrimp
Friday - flakes
Saturday - flakes
Sunday - bloodworms

Then again flakes on Mon. and Tues., brine shrimp on Wed. etc ...

The reason I don't want to feed them with bloodworms and brine shrimp every single day is that - as Carol has said - they're high in protein and too much of them wouldn't be good for fish. Besides, the more high protein food you give to your fish, the more and/or larger water changes you'll have to perform because high protein foods increase nitrate faster.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isabella, my angels won't eat bloodworms, I think it's because they don't recognize them as food because there so small, do you feed yours to your adults or juvees? Do your adult angels eat brine shrimp?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yes ATM my angles love frozen and freez dried foods. Try holding some of the Bloodworms in your finger tips and wiggle them in the water so they look like their moving. I bet your angels will go crazy
Carol

OP
P

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
My betta doesn't like them and the tetras rarely look past the surface for food, they seem too busy competing up there. I'll try the wriggling thing but I wonder if there is a way to get them to float...he responds best to food floating ahead of him. I didn't think of using the net with them though I have to admit, maybe that will help.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe he is talking about frozen bloodworms, not the freeze-dried, so the constipation problem isn't a big issue. The problem is Rusty is a very picky eater. Am I right? Frozen bloodworms do not float at all and both types of fish are top feeders. I think that Carol has a good idea and you could try to get him to handfeed. I know that it may be a little bit hard to do but if you want him to get used to it maybe even try a plastic spoon to slowly let go of them in the water the way peas are let go sometimes. I use my fingertip for the "pea" thing but a lot of folks do not like to put their fingers into the water so they use a plastic spoon. If you do the "pea" thing try doing it the same way. I do not remember if Rusty will eat peas or not.

Rose

Peter243243

Reaction score
Oh, I thought all bloodworms did the consitipation problem. I got my response from a different topic.
I would try serving anyway you can think of that is reasonable.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My angels see the bloodworms when I drop them in they just don't eat them, they turn away when they see them floating down while my rasboras and guppy go crazy for them, though I shall try the idea maaybe it will work.

OP
P

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah I'll try that..Rusty reacts just as the angels do, as though it isn't even food. The tetras don't seem to want anything that isn't right on the surface though if they notice stuff floating they will sometimes charge at it.

OP
P

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
Sigh. He just won't eat the bloody things. He acts startled when they come in and I have ended up 3 times retrieving most of them. He spat the second one he ever ate out.

New Threads