Question Bloodworms making Danios Gold?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
This is sort of a weird question, but I am pretty sure that when two of my danio's eat bloodworms they turn this yellow-gold color.
I posted a few days ago that my danio's had turned yellow and was wondering if that was a bad thing, but it got deleted for some reason.
I just ignored it because they look healthy and are swimming and eating. Yesterday I only gave them flake food and later on that night noticed that the danios were not yellow anymore, they were back to being black and white.
This morning I gave them bloodworms and low and behold a half hour later those same two are a golden yellow color. They still have their black stripes, and the 4 others are still just black and white.

Are the bloodworms the cause? Is this yellow color a bad thing??

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, any chance you could post a picture so we could see what you're referring to?

My zebra danios eat bloodworms on occasion and I do not see any color variation in them.

Are yours zebras?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are zebras, and unfortunately the only camera that I have is the one in my laptop and when I try to take a picture with it, well, you can see the pic of my tank in the gallery and needless to say it looks blurry and psychadelic.
The best I can say is that the danios are normally a silvery white color with black stripes. Right now, I can clearly see the other two danios from where I am sitting (About 6 feet away) compared to the others and they are a honey color. I can still see the stripes, they are still black and intact, it is just wherever they were white before they are now honey colored. Even their gills. They do not shine white in the light, they shine gold.
???????

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
when I had danios, I had gotten them from 2 different stores. One store's were silver, but the ones from the other store were the gold color you are talking about.

Is there any chance they were already that coloration, and you just didn't notice until after you fed the bloodworms?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is similar to my situation, my tank already came with 4 danios, all very white and black. I went to the store to get them a few buddies and they had two different tanks of danios, the cheap ones (zebras) and the other tank were these gold ones with bright pink cheeks. I ended up going with the zebras and inspected the fish in the tank first to make sure they all looked good before I purchased them.
They were definitely black & white when I bought them. And the gold ones at the store didn't have any stripes..?
Is it possible its an interbreed and certain foods can bring out the coloring?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hopefully this works I am not really computer savy:

Its in my album anyhow, I managed to at least catch the two of them up at the surface, they are really blurry (Because of the cam-shot thing on the mac laptop) and plus fish don't exactly sit still, but you can see the color at least. When they others are up there, they are usually white or purpley (because of the light, if they swim to the back of the tank they shine purple) But these two are yellow......

And that sorta darker spot by the filter tube, that is actually one of the non-yellow danios and you can see how he is definitely not yellow!

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Frozen foods are high in protien and will make a fishes colors more vibrant. It's probably just bringing out their natural colors.
carol

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as it is nothing to worry about, then I will keep feeding them bloodworms

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom