Bloodworms Farm

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey do you guys have any method of culturing live bloodworms? I have daphnia cultured but they are too small for most of my fish, so I want to culture something than can eat... thanks any tips on doing so.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look for whiteworms. They are easy to culture, and good nutrition if kept to twice a week (fat content).

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have bloodworms in my water butt but I think that to culture larger numbers of them they need to be fed on organic matter such as manure or vegetable waste etc.

I'm not sure it would be worthwhile and without downsides (smell, flies etc.) but you could research further.

I am happy to use farmed frozen bloodworm as I find them convenient and despite being dead they still seem the favourite food of my fish.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I harvest them and mosquito larva from my bird bath and water fountain I can get hundreds in a week than freeze them in small batches.

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I harvest them and mosquito larva from my bird bath and water fountain I can get hundreds in a week than freeze them in small batches.
How long do they take to accumulate? I live right beside a stagnant heavily planted lake so that might quicken things, and by live next too I mean my house is part of it. I just want to stop buying bloodworms and collecting my own LIVE foods.

Look for whiteworms. They are easy to culture, and good nutrition if kept to twice a week (fat content).
I wish! There are non in the area where I live and I'm looking for something I can find by hand, I will certainly do it if I knew where to find them, bloodworms on the other hand I can just leave water out with rotting veg and get some (I think).

Thanks!

This was written by a goldfish breeder:

Bloodworm Article

He has a few other interesting stuff written as well.
Sweet, I will try place a container of tank water outside with some flake food and yeast. How long before they morph into midge flies?

Thanks so much

I have bloodworms in my water butt but I think that to culture larger numbers of them they need to be fed on organic matter such as manure or vegetable waste etc.

I'm not sure it would be worthwhile and without downsides (smell, flies etc.) but you could research further.

I am happy to use farmed frozen bloodworm as I find them convenient and despite being dead they still seem the favourite food of my fish.
I agree with ya mate, but do you know any other easy to grow live foods? I have considered brine shrimp but no one sells here, I just wanna start a more cheaper option to feed my fish, I have 4 electric dwarf cichlids, corydoras and neon tetra sized fish, so stuff like earthworms I assume won't work.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Daphnia breed in my large water container outside.

But not in winter, although I did manage to raise them in a seperate aquarium at one time.

I think the cleanest way to breed lots of them would be to feed them green water cultured in another container.

They feed on yeast too but after a massive daphnia population explosion the yeast fouled and the culture crashed when I tried it.

I've also discovered that I have lots of detritus worms in the water I collect off my outbuilding roof and my smaller fish e.g. Neon Tetra go mad for those.

I'd be very wary of collecting live foods from any wild place that has a fish population as then fish parasites could be inadvertently collected.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom