Yesterday I changed my tank for 50% water due to excessive amounts of nitrates and when I got home from school I saw this guy laying on the floor. Is this normal or do I need to do something? Update: He died due to nitrate shock...
It's just stressed. Happens all the time with mineWhat we're were nitrates at? It's possible for fish to suffer nitrate shock if there is a sudden drop or rise in nitrates.... may be worth looking into.
true, but mostly stressedIf you have excessive nitrates it's better to change 5-10% every hour or two hours to get the nitrates down to avoid nitrate shock, so it is entirely possible that it is nitrate shock and it would be beneficial for OP to look into it