Bloodfin...large Gray/black Spot....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JHBROWNE, Apr 8, 2017.

1. JHBROWNE

JHBROWNE Valued Member Member

I noticed this about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't gone away...any ideas on what could be going on?? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

You can also see that internally he seems to have darkened...I just read up on this should I remove my guy? :(

4. APierce

I would remove him, yes, it may not be that disease, but with the close up picture, he does look kind of beat up and very sickly. You don't want your other fish getting it.

5. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

I had asked at the fish store by us they had hoped maybe it was an injury but I've seen no improvement

6. APierce

@CindiL might be able to help you out on this a bit better, I believe I've seen her give advice on diseases before :)

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, do you have a quarantine tank to remove him to? Does it look like he is shedding a bit to you? Or his scales have rough edges?

8. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Fish go dark when they are bruised i.e. squashed by our clumsy attempts to catch or maintain them.

I am guilty of bruising a fish myself. It turned almost black but it made a full recovery and lived a long and healthy life.

I am not familiar with any disease which causes the dark colouration but then again I am very inexperienced with diseases and medications.

The one major study of the diseases that affect that part of the fish was done by C Michel, S Messiaen and J-F Bernardet in 2002.

These diseases usually cause a whitening (termed bleaching) of the muscle tissue.

Ornamental fish traders who were experiencing serious and repeated mortality of Neon Tetras sent ten samples of between 10 and 50 fish to the scientists to evaluate.

Columnaris was the common disease encountered in nine out of the ten samples of fish.

Neon Tetra Disease was found in only one out of the ten samples. This disease only affected four fish out of the thirty in the sample.

Quite laborious and advanced laboratory techniques were utilised to obtain the above information. I believe the work took two years to complete. We should be grateful for the enormous efforts of the scientists and the financial resources directed to this research.

Further, the scientists pointed out their current inability to diagnose the disease by clinical signs. Therefore we as hobbyists will not be able to differentiate between Columnaris and Neon Tetra Disease by eye although we might expect Columnaris to be the more prevalent and more deadly pathogen.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You can tell the two diseases apart "fairly" easily. Usually though not always, columnaris will have the sign of fungus on the mouth, fins or across the dorsal like a saddle, it is often referred to as saddle back disease. NTD the fish go very pale and as the disease progresses you see little pimple like lesions under the skin in the muscle. It is really obvious when you have a fish who has it. I agree though that columnaris is far more common.

If anything, I suspect this fish has False Neon Tetra Disease which is fungal in nature, a gram positive infection.

10. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I hope the Bloodfin recovers. I believe they can be quite long-lived.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice